what breed and rooster or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by karlamaria, May 22, 2012.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I got these as eggs and my buff hatched them out, the lady told me she had barred rocks, buff rocks, rir's white rocks and a cochin. im wondering what the white one is, I believe the other is a RIR but the white one baffles me. also is it to early to tell what sex?
    also will that white and black bird lay white eggs? thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Crowing

Jan 12, 2012
    Well the red one isn't a Rhode Island Red, it's a Production Red. RIR's have a deep burnt umber color, PR's have white-ish feathers sometimes.

The white one looks like a light Brahma.

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    The gal I got the eggs from does not have brahma's ,and she has dark RIR's so this one must be mixed also. she has rode island whites so Im thinking its a mix of the RIR and RIW . could this white chicken be a barred rock and a rode island white?

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The white one has cochin in it. It's the only one in the list of breeds you mentioned that has feathered legs. The other parent could very well be a barred rock. That chick will darken quite a bit with age.

5. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    whats funny is that white one was almost black with yellow on the butt and head. now he/she is getting whiter and whiter. also can that red chick be a sex link? rode island red and rode island white?also any chance of telling the sex yet?

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  6. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    do they both have feathered legs

7. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    no just the one, I do hope its not all down to the ground when it gets adult size, I never really liked feathered feet and legs. but it does not look like much feathering on the legs so maybe it will not get to feathery.

8. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it probably wont get to feathered but it does have cochin in it

9. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I'd say you have a Production Red and Cochin mix most likely a White Cochin mixed with a Barred Rock.

10. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Production red? She does not have production reds, she had RIR s this must be mixed like I suggested. More like. Sex link. RIR nd white rode island white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: