What breed and sex are these?

I was wondering exactly what breed of cochins they were and if they are hens or roos. Still not sure.
The breed is Cochin. Like a labrador dog, labrador is the breed. Yellow, brown, black are colors.

Your chickens are a splash, lavender and blue color variety of the Cochin breed.

Earlobe

Not a silkie. Lacks silkie feathering. Could be considered a Satin, though. A satin is a silkie with normal feathering.

But as far as I know, nobody is selling any of those.
I hatched him out from eggs I got from a lady in KY. I had a frizzle hatch but he died a week later even with my giving him nutridrench and his own brooder. The white one was its buddy.

Hey jus wondering, I believe you because you are obviously more experienced, what is the difference between blue and splash? I can never seem to tell them apart!:barnie
Blue is that solid blue you see in the second picture. It is a black based bird with 1 dilute gene.

Splash is the patchy bird in the back of the first picture. Splash birds are black based birds with 2 dilute genes that end up looking mostly white with some black and blue feathers mixed in.

Splash x Black = 100% blue
Splash x Blue = 50% Splash 50% Blue
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
Black x Black = 100% Black
Black x Blue = 50% Black 50% Blue

I hatched him out from eggs I got from a lady in KY. I had a frizzle hatch but he died a week later even with my giving him nutridrench and his own brooder. The white one was its buddy.
Yeah so he is almost certainly a Cochin x Silkie.

He may be a Satin, but as said above I don't see them being sold anywhere. At least not online.

Also you have a lot cockerels both in the coop and outside of it.

The d'Uccle is a cockerel. The mix is a cockerel. The Sebright and 2 polish are cockerels.
Yeah I got about ten roosters from the suprise box. The Sebright I also got from TSC in the banty bin. He's a jerk. Rushes me and neck feathers all up. I just laugh and keep walking. I have two polish roos that you see in the pic, also.
I think I have a Copper Maran roo and a Chantecler roo. I have SLW roo that is a replacement for the one I had for 8 years that died in April.
I have about 60 hens so its not too bad, I think. They all get along pretty good. Some of the extra roos might end up dinner so its good.

Back
Top Bottom