What Breed are my chickens?

thats what i was thinking. because he doesnt have feathers on his legs all the way to his toes. i think it might be a mix between a rhode island red and a maran. because of the weight, its size and its features. he weights close to 7lbs

They are still trying to develop Maran's in to the standard, he could be a mix.
I agree with most everybody on the hens yet the rooster cant b a maran because marans have feathers on outside of their legs all the way to the toe. He looks just like a maran every way else though, so maybe he is just featherless on legs. CAN B POSSIBLE I SUPPOSE.

The first one is a mutt, the second and third are Games or Game crosses. The first one is hard to say the breed of but doesn't have Marans in it. Wrong color, clean legs, wrong body type.

The bearded white one is an Easter Egger, Ameraucanas don't have green legs.

The barred ones are Barred Rocks, Marans (always an s in the name) have white legs, not yellow.

The last one is a Leghorn.

The first one is a mutt, the second and third are Games or Game crosses. The first one is hard to say the breed of but doesn't have Marans in it. Wrong color, clean legs, wrong body type.

The bearded white one is an Easter Egger, Ameraucanas don't have green legs.

The barred ones are Barred Rocks, Marans (always an s in the name) have white legs, not yellow.

The last one is a Leghorn.

Dead on.....I'll simply finish illia's answer with the fact that your rooster is a Welsummer. BTW...the clean legs dont mean it could not have been a Marans though. There are many out there with clean legs and some people have started to refer to them as "American Black Coppers" I think it stems from the lack of new blood from France and I believe that the clean legs were a sport that was kept by someone desperate for every BCM because we have such a hard time getting them from France. They should have culled it but let it stay in the blood lines and now we see them all the time......regardless though, yours is a Welsummer And he is fairly young, I would guess 10 months??

Last edited:
gig.gif
So we think he's the Kellogg's rooster?

Whoops, I stand corrected.... Here is the blurb about Kellogg's cornflakes rooster www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/welsummer (hope it works if you want the link) ;o)

or en.wikipedia.org/wiki/welsummer

Rooster looks like a Black Copper Marans, 1st hen looks like a game of some sort, 2nd hen looks like a production red, 3rd look like a Barred rock, 4th looks like an EE, and 5th looks like a leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom