What breed are these chickens?

try a google search for Black Shumen hens...hens could be that breed, just a guess. As for the roo I'd say he's a different breed because his legs are much pinker then the hens don't most breed's sexes have the same leg color, someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Quote:
Not black Shumens.

"The Black Shumen/Shukmenska chicken was developed in the region of Shumen, Bulgaria, being where it received its name "Shumen". History wise, not much has been said on them other than that in the middle of the twentieth century they were crossed with black Minorca and Rhode Island Red, possibly to save them since they're rare only being found in a few breeding pairs in Shumen and Stara Zagora.

They are primarly used for egg laying, but do not hold up to most modern breeds only laying 150-160 white eggs (weighing about 50-52 grams) per year. But some pluses to them is that they're very hardy , do not eat as much as most other production breeds, and mature early. They're light weight birds, with cocks weighing 2-2.5kg (4.4-5.5) and hens 1.5kg (3.3 pounds). They have white skin, red ear-lobes, and a single comb. They also make fairly good free rangers, and may only be found in black. "

They look like young Black Giants to me... Here's my son Thomas with "Tank" my 2 year old BG:
35629_thomas_tank_1_10-18-2010.jpg

Quote:
Your "Black Giant" isn't Black Giant..
Black Giants are solid Black with no Red in Hackles, Wing and Sickles.

Black Giant -- (not my bird)
33115_blackjerseygiantlargefowlmale.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
Soo there's been some ideas thrown out there, the only real definite as to what these chookies may be is Black Copper Marans, yes? The others were disproved for reasons of number of toes or leg colour, though we have decided that whatever they are, the hens are one type but the rooster is different?
Any more opinions? I'm quite curious now.
smile.png

Their egg color you mentioned is really pale. Plus your birds have clean legs, no feathers on them. And their body type is way off. Doubt they're Marans.

Quote:
Mkay, so that's out too then probably lol. Any more ideas as to what they are?
big_smile.png

can be English Blk. Copper Marans!!, English ones dont have leg feathers!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom