What breed are these chicks, and can they be sexed?

BriannaBanana

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2023
So my two big babies were born Jan 18 and my little babies were born Feb 8.
These are all the pictures I have of them. I'm not sure what breed they are, they are my neighbors eggs and she has a whole lotta different breeds. We were going to try feather sexing, but I really don't have any idea. These are my first two hatches. Thank you for your time.
1000017625.jpg
1000017623.jpg
1000017622.jpg
1000017621.jpg
1000017620.jpg
1000017619.jpg
1000017618.jpg
1000017617.jpg
1000017616.jpg
1000017615.jpg
1000017614.jpg
1000017613.jpg
1000017612.jpg
1000017611.jpg
1000017610.jpg

You can only feather sex a certain type of cross and since you have no idea what your crosses are feather sexing isn't gonna be reliable.
The first older one looks like a pullet and the second one is definitely a cockerel.

I'm not sure what breed they are, they are my neighbors eggs and she has a whole lotta different breeds.
They are probably mixes of breeds, not any pure breeds.

So my two big babies were born Jan 18
Of those two, the one with the red comb is a male (second photo.)
The other might be a female, or might be a male that is just developing more slowly.
I can't tell about any of the younger ones yet.

We were going to try feather seeing, but I'm really don't have any idea. These are my first two hatches.
Feather sexing will probably not work.

Feather sexing does work when someone makes a specific cross of chicken types: fast-feathering rooster and slow-feathering hen, which produces sons that feather slowly and daughters that feather fast.

But any other combination of rooster/hen and feathering speeds will produce chicks that can NOT be feather sexed.

feather sexing is only done on day 3 and its never accurate
The kind of feather sexing that does work (fast/slow feathering genes) can be done at other ages as well, because the "slow feathering" chicks really do grow their feathers slowly. Once the slow ones get all their feathers it is too late, but that takes quite a few weeks.

In this case, I think I do see some with fast feathering and some with slow feathering. Male or female chicks can have either feathering speed, depending on which parents are involved, so we cannot sex these chicks without knowing about the parents.

@BriannaBanana ~ Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

The only male is the second one, the rest seem like females. Telling the gender of chicks through the wing feathers is very inaccurate. The most accurate way is waiting until they are around 6 weeks and looking at the feathers the chicks have gotten in and also comb/wattle growth and redness.

@BriannaBanana ~ Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

The only male is the second one, the rest seem like females. Telling the gender of chicks through the wing feathers is very inaccurate. The most accurate way is waiting until they are around 6 weeks and looking at the feathers the chicks have gotten in and also comb/wattle growth and redness.
Thank you for replying I will be waiting then for a little while lol.

They are probably mixes of breeds, not any pure breeds.

Of those two, the one with the red comb is a male (second photo.)
The other might be a female, or might be a male that is just developing more slowly.
I can't tell about any of the younger ones yet.

Feather sexing will probably not work.

Feather sexing does work when someone makes a specific cross of chicken types: fast-feathering rooster and slow-feathering hen, which produces sons that feather slowly and daughters that feather fast.

But any other combination of rooster/hen and feathering speeds will produce chicks that can NOT be feather sexed.

The kind of feather sexing that does work (fast/slow feathering genes) can be done at other ages as well, because the "slow feathering" chicks really do grow their feathers slowly. Once the slow ones get all their feathers it is too late, but that takes quite a few weeks.

In this case, I think I do see some with fast feathering and some with slow feathering. Male or female chicks can have either feathering speed, depending on which parents are involved, so we cannot sex these chicks without knowing about the parents.
Ah I see now. Thank you for the information it is very appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom