What breed are these chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thunderbird, Jul 18, 2016.

1. thunderbird

thunderbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2016
    Just picked up some chicks from meyer hatchery, I would really recommend them by the way, very good selection of breeds and such. Anyways I ordered 4 chicks from the rare breed assortment, I've identified one as a cochin. No idea on the others think you guys can help me out? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There are no Cochins here. Cochins have feathered legs. I can't tell you about what you do have with any certainty because too many breeds have similarly marked chicks.

Welcome to BYC!

3. thunderbird

Jun 15, 2016
    Thanks for the welcome, I did not post the Cochin there, here's a picture of him though. It[​IMG] is a cochin right?

4. speckledhen

Okay, you confused me because the photos didn't have a Cochin there. Could be a Cochin, yes, and most likely is. That would be a common breed for Meyer to have.

5. thunderbird

Jun 15, 2016
    Good to hear, I've never had a cochin in my flock and I've heard they are good mothers unlike my broody orpington who attacked these chicks when I set them under her :/

6. speckledhen

Well, that really depends on the individual more than the breed. The best broody I ever had was a breeder quality Orpington, and one of my heritage line Barred Rocks was right up there with her. Actually, the line of Barred Rocks I raise are all good broodies, but my hatchery Rocks never did go broody and are not known for it. Hatchery birds really vary. Many breeds that are supposed to be the broody type have had that trait bred out of them in favor of egg production. Unfortunate, really.

Hopefully, your Cochin will be a great mother hen some day. I've only had two Cochins, a lavender bantam Cochin hen who went broody once and raised a few chicks, and currently, a black Cochin bantam rooster who has his own "big girls" he rules with an iron beak.

7. thunderbird

Jun 15, 2016
    "Rules with an iron beak" lmao. Well thanks for the help and good luck with your flock.

8. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    The last is a Buckeye. Middle is a Blue Orpington or Blue Andalusian. The first is probably a Dark Cornish. [​IMG]

9. thunderbird

Jun 15, 2016
    Keep my fingers crossed and hope it's a blue orpington :) thanks

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 Rhodebar lover

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by