What breed are these

They all look like old english game bantams to me, and I keep old english game bantams.
big_smile.png
In fact, I think all of them (that I can see, haha) are probably pure OEGB. The bottom pair is spangled.

In fact, I'm pretty darn sure that's what they are.

Last edited:
Thank you so much everybody. I had no idea. They called them Bantams but I've had bantams before and they wheren't this tiny. I did belive they where a bantam breed but I knew they had to be more than just "bantam" because of their size. They are just a handful of a bird, so small and cute. I think they look old enough for breeding but I am not at all a pro on them so in your opinion, do they look old enough? I don't have a nest in the cages and they have been stressed with the whole "Auction Ordeal" and all. I don't approve of how they handle the birds. They hold them by their wings or a wing. Looks painful to me and I cringe. We handle all ours with care.

Anyway, do they sit on their eggs? What kind of nest do they need? Do they prefer to be hidden, like a covered nest or what? They are in a double rabbit hutch. A home made model out of wood. It has a wooden back and wall as a divider and wire side and the front has 2 doors and a small area of wire with the rabbit feeders inserted there. They don't seem to eat ouf of the rabbit feeders or the water bottles. I'm not crazy about having 2 roos to 2 hen and I may take one out and get him a girlfriend next week at the auction. I do know that the 2 hens I have don't get along because at the auction I tried putting them all in one cage and instead of the roos fighting the hens did. So of course I took the one back out that her roo got away.

Quote:
Don't mean to be rude, but I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a brown Ancona. Also, these are Bantams and if there are Ancona bantams, they would be extremely rare. They are Old English Game Bantams.

There is, the original Anconas came is Brown and Mottled, but most hatchery Anconas are crossed with Exchequer Leghorns so they are all Mottled.

Here is the thread for Anconas, someone there has some Brown Anconas :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=328758

and here the link to someones farm they also have brown Anconas:
http://www.collinsfarm.com.au/poultry.htm

Just Google it you will find info on them.

ETA: Anconas are a small breed (about 2-3 lbs) so they might seem like bantams to some people.

Last edited:
Ancona weights: Large Fowl, per APA SOP
Cock-6 lbs
Hen-4 1/2 lbs
Cockerel-5 lbs
Pullet-4 lbs

Last edited:
Quote:
But the OP's birds have Red earlobes not White.

Anconas have White earlobes and are not what I would call a small breed being at 6 and 4 1/2 lbs at that weight that puts then at around the same weight as Leghorns, Polish, Large Fowl Old English.

Ancona Bantams are
Cocks - 26oz
Hens - 22oz
Cockerels - 24oz
Pullets - 20oz

Chris

Quote:
But the OP's birds have Red earlobes not White.

Anconas have White earlobes and are not what I would call a small breed being at 6 and 4 1/2 lbs at that weight that puts then at around the same weight as Leghorns, Polish, Large Fowl Old English.

Ancona Bantams are
Cocks - 26oz
Hens - 22oz
Cockerels - 24oz
Pullets - 20oz

True I didn't notice the red earlobes, and the weight that I was referring to is the weight that my pullets are since hatchery chickens never conform to standards.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom