what breed are we???

kacappi

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Got 12 mystery chickens at tractor supply. They will all be hens we just dont know what kind..,we kind of thought leghorns. They are almost 3weeks old and 9 of them are getting quite big 3 of them are smaller and have longer wings. They fly around a bit and get on top of the feeder and waterer. They also seem a bit more aggressive...
[/IMG]

The 9 large ones are probably Cornish Cross broiler chickens. The smaller ones may be White Plymouth Rocks or White Leghorns.

Ok help me out here...do the cornish lay eggs?
Yes, Cornish X can lay eggs. However, Cornish X broilers are made for meat production. Under most conditions, they grow so fast that by 8 weeks or so, they must be butchered. Otherwise, they suffer leg problems (because of their heavy weight) or heart attacks. Some people do keep Cornish X broilers to maturity, by restricting the feed, and report that hens will lay eggs. But, it requires careful monitoring of feed.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh this would definately explain their size already. Excuse my ignorance but i am new at this...although meat is good lol i guess i have some more reading to do now to educate myself on cornish. Thanks so much i am so grateful for this site!!!

The 9 large ones are probably Cornish Cross broiler chickens. The smaller ones may be White Plymouth Rocks or White Leghorns.

Yes, Cornish X can lay eggs. However, Cornish X broilers are made for meat production. Under most conditions, they grow so fast that by 8 weeks or so, they must be butchered. Otherwise, they suffer leg problems (because of their heavy weight) or heart attacks. Some people do keep Cornish X broilers to maturity, by restricting the feed, and report that hens will lay eggs. But, it requires careful monitoring of feed.
I agree on both counts, and would suggest butchering those Cornish cross at 8 weeks. Even if you manage to keep them alive until laying age, they are never going to make good egg producers for you.

Back
Top Bottom