What breed are you most excited to add this year?

Not so much because of the breed specifically, but the birds I'm most excited to be adding to my flock this year are silkied Cochin bantam chicks out of one specific rooster, Gus. He's a favorite of mine for numerous reasons, but one of the big reasons is because he was the first rooster I hatched on my path to really breeding silkied Cochin bantams so he holds a lot of sentiment for me. Trying to hatch chicks from him last year was disastrous, however. Hardly any eggs were fertilized, let alone that hatched. This year, he's with a few new hens, and he's got babies after babies after babies on the way! :wee I was so scared that I'd have to retire him without any viable offspring to keep his blood in my line and I'm beyond thrilled that Gus's legacy will now live on in my line of silkied Cochins. :love

It’s my first year with chickens so I’m excited about all of them haha. However I was able to find Isabel Orpington’s which I was thrilled about. Only 1 out of the two I got hatched. Now the breeder has Isabel Ameraucanas and I need to find out how to expand my coop so I can get some! I also love my super quirky mottled houdan I hatched out in February.

Runner ducks. I have runners currently but I'm getting better quality ones with a more upright stance.
:wee
I use to have a beautiful blond runner! He's in my profile pic, he would stand up straight and run or to guard the yard, but waddle around mostly down, it was always so amusing to see him standing alert, he's pictured with his white silkie girlfriend. Oh and he was crested too, so he had the big fluff feathered cap, he was the best! Squeeker is now long gone, but I wouldn't doubt one day I'd get more runner ducks!! I'm excited for you!

I've been watching our local Orscheln's. They've had the corrals out for a few weeks and I've been getting chick-oriented mailers, but when I go, no chicks. I happened to be driving by this morning and stopped in. I stepped in and there was no chirping. I decided to go back and look anyway. The corrals were full of chicks, but they were all sleeping. :)

I have Rhode Island Reds and Ameraucanas already and wanted to add some variety. So I got Barred Plymouth Rocks and Black Sex Links. I'm most looking forward to the BSLs.
IMG_20230406_095824123_HDR.jpg

I've been watching our local Orscheln's. They've had the corrals out for a few weeks and I've been getting chick-oriented mailers, but when I go, no chicks. I happened to be driving by this morning and stopped in. I stepped in and there was no chirping. I decided to go back and look anyway. The corrals were full of chicks, but they were all sleeping. :)

I have Rhode Island Reds and Ameraucanas already and wanted to add some variety. So I got Barred Plymouth Rocks and Black Sex Links. I'm most looking forward to the BSLs.
View attachment 3457773
I love my BSLs! I have found them much hardier than the RSL in terms of reproductive issues. Mine are going on 4 years old and still lay regularly.

Back
Top Bottom