They do not need layer feed, especially roosters and any other non-laying birds. Even layers do not need layer feed as long as there is oyster shell (or crushed egg shells) available for them to get the calcium. They do need some sort of chicken feed. Many members here use All-flock feed or Grower feed with oyster shell on the side. Be stingy with the treats, it is like chicken junk food and they will probably love it more than their feed. :plbb

If your chickens are free-ranging, you do not need to offer grit. They can get all they need from pecking on the ground.

Good looking rooster!

They do not need layer feed, especially roosters and any other non-laying birds. Even layers do not need layer feed as long as there is oyster shell (or crushed egg shells) available for them to get the calcium. They do need some sort of chicken feed. Many members here use All-flock feed or Grower feed with oyster shell on the side. Be stingy with the treats, it is like chicken junk food and they will probably love it more than their feed. :plbb

If your chickens are free-ranging, you do not need to offer grit. They can get all they need from pecking on the ground.

Good looking rooster!
Hello chickstarrs, thank you for the tip! I don't necessary free-range them but I fence them around my plant area where I grow lemon trees, apple trees, and more. I throw grass in there fenced area sometimes and let them out at the end of the day( around at 5-6pm). Do I need to still offer grit if my environment is like that?

Thanks,
Valerie

Hello chickstarrs, thank you for the tip! I don't necessary free-range them but I fence them around my plant area where I grow lemon trees, apple trees, and more. I throw grass in there fenced area sometimes and let them out at the end of the day( around at 5-6pm). Do I need to still offer grit if my environment is like that?

Thanks,
Valerie
As long as they have some access to dirt, tiny rocks (often found in dirt) or similar they should be fine. However, it would not hurt them to offer grit if that makes you feel better.

Hello everyone, I bought one of my roosters at TSC and I'm not sure what breed he is because when I bought my 4 chickens, the TSC staff marked all of them as leghorns which was "wrong". I think he may be a blue splashed Wyandotte x Easter Egger.

EXTRA: I'm also thinking to buy some mealworm with corn treats (LINK TO THE TREAT I'M THINKING TO BUY: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...snack-mix-corn-and-mealworm-2-lb?cm_vc=-10005) for my 4 chickens and I was wondering if I needed to offer/give them Manna Pro Grit with ProBiotics when I feed them the mealworm with corn treats or is it optional?

PICTURES OF MY ROOSTER ARE BELOW! :)
Beautiful boy you have there and I would say that he has Wyandotte in him his other parent could virtually be any color but his mom or dad definitely was a Wyandotte

Back
Top Bottom