What breed could they be! Silkies!?

SweetOasisChix

Hatching
Apr 16, 2016
I am new to chickens but this year we finally decided to build a coop and get some chickens for eggs... however I was reading about silkies and decided I wanted to add 2 to my flock of buff orpingtons, black sex links, RIR, and my husband picked out a cornish pullet that was all by herself. Ok, anyways in the bantam bin at tsc there was 5 toed, black skined and fuzz on there legs just patchs on the one though. Their skin is completely black. Has anyone had silkies look like this and if so what colors were they?! Are these even silkies?! I have someone hatching out silkies that I plan on getting and adding to them. I JUST WISH I KNEW WHAT THESE ARE?!
Sorry if they are blurry, camera was dead...

Around 7-12 days old
FIRST ONE.... patches of fuzz on the legs, 5 toes, black skinned, legs n beak.

Wing feathers... so confused by their feathers they look like silkies yet some of the feathers are sticking together...

Around 5-7 days old

SECOND ONE.... fuzz the whole way down the legs, 5 toes, black skin, legs n beak.

Wing feathers...

AnYoNe!?!?!?!?

They sure look like silkies to me. Probably buff colored when grown or white. Leaning toward them both being white. Not all silkies will end up with feathers on the legs. Chicks also like to peck at odd things on other chicks so the one without feathers on the legs may grow some back if that is what happened.

Congrats on the new additions and the ones to come.

They sure look like silkies to me. Probably buff colored when grown or white. Leaning toward them both being white. Not all silkies will end up with feathers on the legs. Chicks also like to peck at odd things on other chicks so the one without feathers on the legs may grow some back if that is what happened.

Congrats on the new additions and the ones to come.
also to add-doesn't look like they have a "poof" on their head, so they could be crosses.

Is it possible for crossed silkies to have feathering like true silkies... or not. The feathers on these 2 are not connected to the quill at the top it is floating free.... I think that is what is called... and are possibly growing off of them at the base perhaps... but I noticed some of the little feathered pieces are kinda connected together but only some, though most are long and separated. Just curios what a true silkies feathers look like at this age... Can NOT find any photos online where you can actually see them(the wing feathers). If anyone has any... please post a picture so I could compare. I would greatly appreciate it. My true silkies should be here sometime this week, if all goes well. ThAnKs a ton! Thanks for posting!

I think that these 2 are silkies that were weeded out from a hatcher because they didn't have big crests or large amount of feathering on there legs. So this hatchery sent the "undesirable" ones over to TSC. I am unsure of their sex. The younger one had a buff color feathers coming in on top of the white. I have figured out the sex of my BO's and RIR's by their very rooster like tail feathers that came in around 5 weeks. But I have no clue with these 2. Can someone give me something to look for on these 2, to figure out the sex of these 2?!? And if you think these are pure silkies?!? Any advice is welcome bc I am stumped!? I have a feeling they both may be males...
1st one between 6 n 7 weeks.

2nd chick between 5 n 6 weeks! Buff color feathers coming in with the white. Both still lacking feathers on their heads.

Are they silkies!?!

Ard they male or female!?!

Any advice welcome! Thanks for the advice to everyone!

They are silkies, and too young to sex. As for the crest, it's not uncommon for hatchery silkies to be lacking in that department. They look nothing like the ones you see from a breeder.

Back
Top Bottom