What breed do we have? One roo?

Chaska

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2015
These girls (I hope) are about 5-6 weeks old. Purchased from my daughters FFA class. We have six total but I believe four different breeds. See if you can help me out to I can read about them.

1. All white seems to be the outcast, not a leader.

2. We have 2 of these. More black than grey/white love to scratch and dig, more than the others and more shy than the others.

3. Beautiful greyish white. Little more red on the comb, she's or he is the boss. First to try everything very curious

4. We also have 2 of these. Second in command. Social, curious too.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Charlie

Did the FFA class state whether the chicks (or hatching eggs) were sourced from a hatchery or were they donated? I know the FFA class here sources their eggs from local folks who donate fertile eggs for hatching. The reason I ask is that will play heavily into whether these birds are specific breeds or likely to be mixed breeds (more likely with donated eggs).

Your little blue/grey bird is a cockerel - the comb is not only pinking up, but appears to have three distinct rows of "peas" and what can be seen of the side of the bird shows classic cockerel color patterning coming in on the wings.

Did the FFA class state whether the chicks (or hatching eggs) were sourced from a hatchery or were they donated?  I know the FFA class here sources their eggs from local folks who donate fertile eggs for hatching.  The reason I ask is that will play heavily into whether these birds are specific breeds or likely to be mixed breeds (more likely with donated eggs).

Your little blue/grey bird is a cockerel - the comb is not only pinking up, but appears to have three distinct rows of "peas" and what can be seen of the side of the bird shows classic cockerel color patterning coming in on the wings.

I'm not sure. I'll have my daughter ask. I thought that one was a roo. It's my youngest ones. She 4y/o. She will be heart broken when I tell her we can't keep it. I'll have to let her pick another one out. The school have another batch of some black ones now.

Did the FFA class state whether the chicks (or hatching eggs) were sourced from a hatchery or were they donated? I know the FFA class here sources their eggs from local folks who donate fertile eggs for hatching. The reason I ask is that will play heavily into whether these birds are specific breeds or likely to be mixed breeds (more likely with donated eggs).

x2

x3

Back
Top Bottom