What breed do you have that is still laying in this cold weather?

Quote:
I completely agree. Both of my EEs are completely slacking and they don't even lay green/blue eggs! They lay a very pale, kinda pink egg so I know its them NOT laying. I'm getting rid of them in the summer and will probably never do EEs again.

My Wyandottes are so-so... GSLs, Australorps and BRs are all laying, almost everyday
big_smile.png

I have Javas and EE's that are still laying really well. I have 2 cochins that just came to laying age. They are laying as well. But not everyday, it is every other day.
Of course my DUccles totally stopped.

My girls are about 6 months old and have hardly slowed down. Daytime temps have been in the upper teens and 20's but there have been days where the wind chill is around 0. I have RSL, BSL, RIR, BR and a brown Leghorn that are doing the best laying. My EE lays every few days (but she doesn't use the nest box so by the time I find them they are usually frozen and cracked) , my silver leghorn hasn't started yet that I know and my silver phoenix was just broody. Today was the 1st day the temps went above freezing in about 2 weeks. I do have a light in the coop but it is not very bright and I don't always remember to put it on. Today I got 8 eggs from 13 girls but I am pretty sure neither of the silver girls are laying so 8 out of 11.

I have 5 RIR and 3 EE, daily I get about 2-3 blue eggs and 1-2 brown eggs. I know last winter with only 2 RIR I still got more eggs from the EE's on average.

Quote:
I completely agree. Both of my EEs are completely slacking and they don't even lay green/blue eggs! They lay a very pale, kinda pink egg so I know its them NOT laying. I'm getting rid of them in the summer and will probably never do EEs again.

My Wyandottes are so-so... GSLs, Australorps and BRs are all laying, almost everyday
big_smile.png

how long has it been since their molt? It took my girls a couple months to recover.

We are consistently in the teens here in Michigan (day time temps) and I still have a bantam EE and a d'uccle laying (but the majority of my d'uccles aren't). As for my LF I have some black jersey giants a few sex links and some BOs laying consistently. The rocks are still laying, just not as consistently
big_smile.png

Here in MS we had a hard freeze alert that lasted about five day, it ended this past Sunday but has still been freezing at night. I have two Sexlinks that have not skip a day. My SS laid until Saturday and have not laid since. Poor girls.
sad.png
All of my other girls (crosses) are new layers so it is about 2 lay everyday and 3 lay every other day and the rest have not started.
hu.gif
So 2-7day from total of 22 hens/pullets.

First time... Glad to hear about the EE's slowing or stopping altogether. I thought we goofed:( We live next to the Canadian border in Bellingham Wa. Gets dark about 4:30pm and sunrise 7:15am. No extra lighting. 3RSL 3BR 3EE We get 3 to 4 daily. I thankful for in info I've gotten here. It's really helped!
smile.png

My Wyandotte, Australorp, Red Sexlink and EE mutt are all laying regularly. My Barred Rock not so much, but she's also at least a few years old, and may be going through her natural slowdown. With 5 hens, I'm getting about 18 eggs a week.

Back
Top Bottom