what breed do you own??

Hi Newbie here...
wink.png

I have 2 Black Sumatras , 2 Barred Rocks, 1 RIR, 1 New Hampshire Red, 2 Americuna pullets, and last but not least 3 silkies.. partridge, buff, and Cukoo Roo (getting 12 white!!! silkie eggs today)

My buff silkie is going broody now (thank goodness) she hasn't laid an egg yet but my one of my sumatras has started laying... so my buff has started to lay on her eggs..though not she is not laying on them enough IMHO

Any suggestions for my new eggs?

I have my first ever batch of chicks, and I must say I'm sold....and so is my DH.
We have 6 black australorps (soon to be 3), b3 arred rocks, 3 silver laced wyandottes, 4 speckled sussex and 2 welsummers.

I have:

3 buff Brahma's-two hens and my "head" roo.
gig.gif

6 light Brahma pullets.
8 white Rocks.
1 Speckled Sussex.
3 EE's.
1 buff Rock (?)
5 golden spangled Hamburgs-four hens and one roo.

In my basement:

My five "mixed" chicks I hatched from my eggs-mix of above breeds, lol!

They look to be:

1 black feather footed chick
2 cream/buff Brahmas
1 light brahma mix
1 golden spangled hamburg/EE mix

Ideal chicks from March 10th hatch date:

3 golden neck D'uccle
5 buff laced Polish
3 white crested blue Polish

and last, but not least, my 5 ducklings currently residing in my son's bathtub
he.gif

2 Blue Swedish (one is really yellow, w/a blue bill...? maybe splash?)
3 Khaki Campbell

Whew! Think I'm done now, lol!

as you can tell by my closing quotes we have a little of everthing it's an addiction a good addiction I got a pair of barred cochins(full grown) last weekend these are my first cochins and i think that they are awesome. Does anyone else have these just wondered i had not saw these before

Quote:
You can get worms in the sporting goods dept. of Walmart. Fishing worms, but I don't think the chooks will mind.

Next week I'll be a mommy to 23 brahmas, plus a foster mommy to a JG and a cochin; but only for a few days till they take the chick train to hooligan.

I have
Silkies
Polish
RIR
Sexlinks
Americaunas
Barred Plymouth Rocks
OEGB's
Light Brown Dutch bantams
Quail D'Anvers
Mixed breeds
Ducks
and guineas.

Grand total of only twenty something. But I have twenty-five more coming in May!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have:
1 mixed hen
1 silkie Serama roo
1 silkie Serama hen (broody! Hatch this Friday!)
1 blue Ameraucana (x silkie?)
2 exhibition Buff Orpingtons; 1 pullet; 1 hen
2 Welsummers on the way when 8 wks. old; roo and pullet
And 3 possible hatching chicks this Friday!
woot.gif

Buff Orpingtons, an EE rooster, partridge rock hen, black australorp hen, a barred rock rooster, and a comlumbian wyandotte rooster. I really need to decide which roo I am keeping and do something else with the extras!
I also have the following breeds on the way from Ideal poultry-
Golden Laced Wyandotte pullets, Assorted Silkies, Assorted bantam Cochins, Assorted OEGB, Assorted Plymouth Rock pullets, Ancona pullets, and EE pullets...

I have Standard Light Brahmas, Golden Laced Cochins & Sultans.

The Brahmas are awesome. They lay right through the coldest weather (below zero). They do well on minimal feed. They stay close to the coop. They come running to my car when I get home & then follow me back to the coop for their dinner. The two Brahma roosters I have are very gentle & don't even fight with each or the other roosters in my coop. Overall, they are nice birds.

My Golden Laced Cochins are AWESOME! I have to admit they are my favorites! I ordered 12 eggs from eBay last year & got two to hatch. Of course, both were roosters! They are extremely gentle & laid back. I can walk up to them in the coop or outside of it & pick them up. They are very gentle with the other birds & even the other roosters.

My Sultans...well, I ordered a dozen hatching eggs from IDEAL Poultry last summer--I think I paid like $50 for them (with shipping). They were supposed to be STANDARD Sultans, but I think they are BANTAMS. I only got TWO to hatch & live. Three hatched, total but the third chick was deformed & unable to stand? Anyway, my two that hatched just happened to be a rooster & a hen! I was excited & hoping they would start to breed/lay...but my Muscovy duck killed the rooster. So now I have one, lonely Sultan hen. They seem a little insane, very flighty/dramatic. If I can't find any more hatching eggs, I'll probably sell my one Sultan hen & shift to another breed...

I also have Muscovy ducks. They are filthy piglets, but out of all of the breeds of ducks I've had/bred, I like them the best. They are "smart" as far as ducks go. They are very personable and do well in the cold weather. Mine are non-flyers, although our neighbor that I gave a few to for her pond...hers fly down to the pond & then back to the coop. They also roost at night in the trees. All of them eat weeds/bugs/rodents and they seem to have a low mortality rate as babies & adults. Other than the messy part, I really like them.

Back
Top Bottom