What breed do you think Millie is?

The "Easter Egg Chicken", This unusual breed gets its name from the Indian tribe of Chile where they were first discovered. Araucanas lay beautiful colored eggs of blue-green shades from turquoise to deep olive. These natural Easter Eggs will amaze your friends and make a great "show and tell" project for school.

It was new to me too!
I've learned since I've joined that "Easter Eggers" (EE's) are not a breed but do have some Araucana/Amaraucana genetics to make blue/green egg shell colors. EE's include:

the Araucanas (descent from two rare South American types of chicken - the Collonca, and the Queteros. The Collonca is a naturally clean faced, rumpless, blue egg laying fowl. The Queteros is tailed, has ear tuffs and usually lays a pinkish brown egg. The cross between the Collonca and the Queteros resulted in the Araucana. It is tailess-aka rumpless-(no Coccyx, or tail vertabrae), have pea small combs and ear tufts (clumps of feathers growing from small tabs of skin usually found at or near the region of the ear openings. This feature is unique in the U.S. to the Araucana breed. The gene for tufts is lethal when both parents have it, these chicks die in the shell or will be very short lived if they do hatch tufted ears).

the Ameraucana - These do have tails, do NOT have ear tufts. but rather, have muff/beards which are beneath the beak, at the throat, and should have red earlobes. They are a standard breed recognized in several color varieties and are supposed to make blue egg shells. ( The pea comb is known to be related to the blue shell gene, both breeds have pea combs.) Sometimes the Amaraucana are misrepresented when referring to EE's.

Most the time, Easter Eggers are crossbreeds whose egg shells can be green, blue, brown or any color/shade in between. They can be defined as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed descriptions as defined in the APA and/or ABA standards.

Oh, and some hatcheries include Salmon Faverolles when they list their "Easter Eggers/Tinted Eggs". But the Salmon Faverolles eggs are slightly tinted, instead of white. They were orginally bred by the French to be layers as well as for meat. They have feathers beards and feathers on their feet and legs too. They do not possess the blue egg gene.

And that...is more than anybody wanted to know about EE's!
tongue.png

By the by...I have determined that Millie is a Danish Brown Leghorn!
cool.png

Last edited:
That hen is what i have always known to be a "game" hen. The roosters are much more colorful with bright reds and oranges, but i have always called that chicken a game hen.

Thank you so much! So glad to know...now I can say Millie is a BBROEG
lol.png

Seriously, thanks for the info...gonna go read about them now...

True, but the reason I don't think she's a mutt is that she was with a group of twelve other hens, an assortment of hatchery pullets that were about a year old, that had been dumped at an animal shelter in Fairfax, VA. The other two hens I got were a Dark Cornish and a Black Australorp. The three were the only ones the attendant could catch!!!
lol.png

Who knows
hmm.png
, I'll keep studying the photos I find of both, the Danish Brown Leghorn and the B.B. Red Old English Game, and comparing them to Millie. For the time being, I'm leaning toward what cadman68 suggests because he has raised BBROEGs.
So who knows? Mutt, DBL, OEG, or whatever, she is simply a terrific hen!!!
smile.png

And I am really grateful to everyone for their suggestions!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom