What breed do you think these are?

strssdmom

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
Terre Haute, Indiana
Hello! I picked these guys up from Rural King and I am pretty sure they are not Silver Laced Wyandottes (as they were marked), but they were cute, so we got them anyway. They are approximately 4 weeks old and twice the size of all the rest we purchased that same day.

What do you think they are?

Thank you,
Elizabeth
yippiechickie.gif

If they are cornish crosses, they are meat birds and may not live very long. They are supposed to be slaughtered for meat by 6-9 weeks, and frequently did of heart attacks or broken legs. I would try to give these away quickly to someone who would use them for meat unless you are willing to do the deed.

If they are cornish crosses, they are meat birds and may not live very long. They are supposed to be slaughtered for meat by 6-9 weeks, and frequently did of heart attacks or broken legs. I would try to give these away quickly to someone who would use them for meat unless you are willing to do the deed.

Thank you for the info. If that is what they are, I will definitely enjoy the meat from them. They are already 4 weeks old and don't seem like they will be big enough for processing in just 2-5 weeks. I will see what happens.

Elizabeth
yippiechickie.gif

These are very unlikely to be Cornish Rocks because of the relative small size compared to the normal growth curve for Cornish Rocks at 4 weeks....They are usually much larger at 4 weeks and fully feathered....May be old fashioned White Rocks...And then the pictures may be distorting their actual size because you said they were TWICE as large as any of the others...Don't worry about them dying suddenly from heart disease and bone collapse....Just follow the feeding instructions that you can obtain by logging on to one of the hatchery web sites...Welp's in Bancroft, IA has good info on feeding in their brochure...There are also others...As for others they definitely look like Amber Links..If you live in Ohio near Cincinnatti I'd say they came from Mt Healthy Hatchery....Rob carries Amber Links...Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom