1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed do you think these are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by strssdmom, Mar 21, 2013.

1. strssdmom

strssdmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Hello! I picked these guys up from Rural King and I am pretty sure they are not Silver Laced Wyandottes (as they were marked), but they were cute, so we got them anyway. They are approximately 4 weeks old and twice the size of all the rest we purchased that same day.

What do you think they are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you,
    Elizabeth [​IMG]

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

They look like cornish Xs, hope not though...

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If they are cornish crosses, they are meat birds and may not live very long. They are supposed to be slaughtered for meat by 6-9 weeks, and frequently did of heart attacks or broken legs. I would try to give these away quickly to someone who would use them for meat unless you are willing to do the deed.

1 person likes this.
  4. strssdmom

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Thank you for the info. If that is what they are, I will definitely enjoy the meat from them. They are already 4 weeks old and don't seem like they will be big enough for processing in just 2-5 weeks. I will see what happens.

Elizabeth [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Cornish Crosses :(

6. strssdmom

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay here is another one of mine. Labeled Amber Links at the store. What do you think these are???

7. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

It actually looks like an amber link, it might be a leghorn though.

8. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Agree!

9. Bill Matthews

Bill Matthews Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    These are very unlikely to be Cornish Rocks because of the relative small size compared to the normal growth curve for Cornish Rocks at 4 weeks....They are usually much larger at 4 weeks and fully feathered....May be old fashioned White Rocks...And then the pictures may be distorting their actual size because you said they were TWICE as large as any of the others...Don't worry about them dying suddenly from heart disease and bone collapse....Just follow the feeding instructions that you can obtain by logging on to one of the hatchery web sites...Welp's in Bancroft, IA has good info on feeding in their brochure...There are also others...As for others they definitely look like Amber Links..If you live in Ohio near Cincinnatti I'd say they came from Mt Healthy Hatchery....Rob carries Amber Links...Good Luck

10. jkhenry

jkhenry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    picayune,ms
    [​IMG]
    are these 2 rir roos they are 4 weeks old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by