What breed for egg laying?

I am new to raising chickens and today I completed the finishing touches on my chicken coop and run. I am anticipating ordering my first chickens in the next few weeks but I am clueless as to what breed to purchase. For my initial chickens, I want them for egg laying. I live in central North Carolina and we have four distinct seasons -- hot summers and moderate winters. Do you have any suggestions as to what breed that I should purchase for my purpose?
I live in rural SC, so similar environment. We like Barred Rock and Buff Orpington for the eggs. We also have a few other breeds but these are great for egg laying. I have heard that Road Island Reds are great too but have never owned any.

And then, if you want to go with a rare breed, you could try heritage chickens or ducks. Here are comparison charts from Livestock Conservancy:

https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/chicken-chart

https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/duck-chart

I started with Crevecoeurs in 1998 and never needed any other kind of chicken (about 180-200 nice large white eggs a year with just a month or so pause around Christmas, beautiful hardy birds, non-setters). But, as anyone here will tell you, chicken math rules, and I have had several different breeds of chickens and ducks over the years along with the Crevecoeurs.

BTW, if you are looking for hens and not roosters, be sure not to buy "SR" or "straight run." Buy "pullets" or "females" or "layers". I was in Orscheln a few days ago and noticed that the "SR" on the breed card was written very small.

New status! On Thursday, 5/28/2020, I purchased 10 leghorns from Tractor Supply. This is my first experience with chickens since my brief exposure as a preschooler. I had gone to the location to do some comparison shopping for supplies (fount, feeder, heat lamp, etc.) and had no intention of purchasing any chicks. But when I walked in I heard chirping in the air, and I wander to the sound. They were just putting out some new arrivals. I shopped around for a while and in the back of my thoughts was "Should I get some chicks today?". Finally, I could not resist, so I purchased five as well as other needed supplies for them. I got home and finished setting up my brooder. I placed them in it and they looked so lost in the big space. I decided that I could handle more, so I return to the store and purchased another five. They are doing well and I am so excited and happy. On June 8, another store is suppose to get some buff orpingtons and I am contemplating about adding a few more to my flock. Thanks for all the helpful advice.
IMG_0742.JPG IMG_0744.JPG IMG_0746.JPG

Hi! Welcome!
I am new to flock ownership as well. I have been doing my research for several months trying to prepare for the arrival of my laying hens only. I will not tolerate a rooster. I am not that much of a morning person. I do already love my nine girls though. I love waking up to the sound of their happy singing in the morning when their bellies are full and they are just playing around with one another. They are three weeks old today! I live in Northeast Mississippi. I am from the Birthplace of the King. The King of Rock -n- Roll. That is. Elvis the King Presley. Not to be confused with any other kings. So you know it is really hot here. I asked for advice from the hatchery on getting some very heat tolerant breeds. They were almost sold out of everything due to Easter and Covid-19, and Mother’s Day when I called but I did get three Orpingtons which I wanted. I wanted Buff Orpingtons because of their colorings day because their personality is like the golden retriever of the chicken worldin comparison to dogs and how good of pets they make. The hatchery only had black lavender crosses for me which were a little more expensive but I bought them anyway. They are both for laying or meat birds. And the Orpingtons are both Cold Hearty and fairly heat tolerant. I believe when their combs are smaller then they tolerate the heat better so look at the combs and waddles. If they are smaller then they can take the heat better I believe. Then I got Swedish flower hens and Creme Legbars. All of these were pricey because they are rare and crosses. Especially the flower hens. They are more rare and I think it’s because their breed has been here since like the beginning of creation or something. The Legbars have blue eggs also. The color of the eggs is usually not an issue for most folks but my husband cannot eat white eggs for some reason. That is why I have my flock now. It is to have a supply of eggs that are not white. So I will have brown or blue eggs. A good supply. My Orpingtons won’t lay until they are about 24 weeks old and these will be heavier birds because they are dual purpose birds and mostly too heavy to fly but they can if they have to or want to bad enough.
Good luck with your flock and be sure to ask your hatchery folks for advice but don’t get taken for a ride. Do your research first.

Hi! Welcome!
I am new to flock ownership as well. I have been doing my research for several months trying to prepare for the arrival of my laying hens only. I will not tolerate a rooster. I am not that much of a morning person. I do already love my nine girls though. I love waking up to the sound of their happy singing in the morning when their bellies are full and they are just playing around with one another. They are three weeks old today! I live in Northeast Mississippi. I am from the Birthplace of the King. The King of Rock -n- Roll. That is. Elvis the King Presley. Not to be confused with any other kings. So you know it is really hot here. I asked for advice from the hatchery on getting some very heat tolerant breeds. They were almost sold out of everything due to Easter and Covid-19, and Mother’s Day when I called but I did get three Orpingtons which I wanted. I wanted Buff Orpingtons because of their colorings day because their personality is like the golden retriever of the chicken worldin comparison to dogs and how good of pets they make. The hatchery only had black lavender crosses for me which were a little more expensive but I bought them anyway. They are both for laying or meat birds. And the Orpingtons are both Cold Hearty and fairly heat tolerant. I believe when their combs are smaller then they tolerate the heat better so look at the combs and waddles. If they are smaller then they can take the heat better I believe. Then I got Swedish flower hens and Creme Legbars. All of these were pricey because they are rare and crosses. Especially the flower hens. They are more rare and I think it’s because their breed has been here since like the beginning of creation or something. The Legbars have blue eggs also. The color of the eggs is usually not an issue for most folks but my husband cannot eat white eggs for some reason. That is why I have my flock now. It is to have a supply of eggs that are not white. So I will have brown or blue eggs. A good supply. My Orpingtons won’t lay until they are about 24 weeks old and these will be heavier birds because they are dual purpose birds and mostly too heavy to fly but they can if they have to or want to bad enough.
Good luck with your flock and be sure to ask your hatchery folks for advice but don’t get taken for a ride. Do your research first.
Thanks for your reply. I purchased 10 leghorns this past Thursday. I am pleased thus far. I wish I knew the secret to keeping them from scratching most of their feed from their feeder. I may be getting some Buff Orpingtons on June 8th.

Thanks for your reply. I purchased 10 leghorns this past Thursday. I am pleased thus far. I wish I knew the secret to keeping them from scratching most of their feed from their feeder. I may be getting some Buff Orpingtons on June 8th.
Those seem like great choices. I've had leghorns in the past and was very happy with the constant supply of eggs our family got :) Do let us know how your experience with the Orpingtons goes, I am thinking of adding some to my flock too :)

I am new to raising chickens and today I completed the finishing touches on my chicken coop and run. I am anticipating ordering my first chickens in the next few weeks but I am clueless as to what breed to purchase. For my initial chickens, I want them for egg laying. I live in central North Carolina and we have four distinct seasons -- hot summers and moderate winters. Do you have any suggestions as to what breed that I should purchase for my purpose?
I had Golden Comets and Rhode Island Reds that laid over 300 rather large brown eggs a year. Usually 6 eggs a week. They are very hearty chickens and usually friendly as well I would recommend them for a first time chicken owner.

New status! On Thursday, 5/28/2020, I purchased 10 leghorns from Tractor Supply. This is my first experience with chickens since my brief exposure as a preschooler. I had gone to the location to do some comparison shopping for supplies (fount, feeder, heat lamp, etc.) and had no intention of purchasing any chicks. But when I walked in I heard chirping in the air, and I wander to the sound. They were just putting out some new arrivals. I shopped around for a while and in the back of my thoughts was "Should I get some chicks today?". Finally, I could not resist, so I purchased five as well as other needed supplies for them. I got home and finished setting up my brooder. I placed them in it and they looked so lost in the big space. I decided that I could handle more, so I return to the store and purchased another five. They are doing well and I am so excited and happy. On June 8, another store is suppose to get some buff orpingtons and I am contemplating about adding a few more to my flock. Thanks for all the helpful advice.
View attachment 2171205View attachment 2171206View attachment 2171207
You bought FIFTEEN white Leghorns?! Wow, you’re going to be swimming in eggs in about 18-20 weeks. :D
You’ll probably end up with a cockerel since you bought that many. Hatcheries claim 90% accuracy on their sexed chicks. He will be the one who develops a bigger and redder comb sooner than the pullets.
Congratulations on your purchase!

You bought FIFTEEN white Leghorns?! Wow, you’re going to be swimming in eggs in about 18-20 weeks. :D
You’ll probably end up with a cockerel since you bought that many. Hatcheries claim 90% accuracy on their sexed chicks. He will be the one who develops a bigger and redder comb sooner than the pullets.
Congratulations on your purchase!
I actually bought only 10 total. I plan on adding another 8 layers. My coop will accommodate about 36 chickens. Right now I am thinking I want about 18 layers and 18 to cull. I do not anticipate getting my meat bird until next year. I realize that I will get more eggs than I can consume but all my friends are requesting eggs once they start to lay. I hope that I did not get any roosters in the bunch for right now.

Back
Top Bottom