What breed has a black comb?

BrandySC

Songster
May 22, 2020
We rescued this chick as a hatchling, with no idea on breed. Now that he is several weeks old his comb is coming in and it's BLACK! I've only heard of a couple breeds with that and they were rare. Any idea what this guy is? The inside of his mouth is white, his legs are black. His only other characteristics are he still has a white patch of down under his chin and his wings are crazy long. They wrap around under his tail and touch.

Attachments

• D95AC287-11F2-43B6-9CB3-A836DBAB3056.jpeg
    D95AC287-11F2-43B6-9CB3-A836DBAB3056.jpeg
    547.7 KB · Views: 19
  • CE81B4EF-9F78-437B-88C9-D0818038535C.jpeg
    CE81B4EF-9F78-437B-88C9-D0818038535C.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 7
  • A9CF451C-99E0-4F08-A852-BFDC7E858D73.jpeg
    A9CF451C-99E0-4F08-A852-BFDC7E858D73.jpeg
    955 KB · Views: 8
We rescued this chick as a hatchling, with no idea on breed. Now that he is several weeks old his comb is coming in and it's BLACK! I've only heard of a couple breeds with that and they were rare. Any idea what this guy is? The inside of his mouth is white, his legs are black. His only other characteristics are he still has a white patch of down under his chin and his wings are crazy long. They wrap around under his tail and touch.
Black combs:
Sumatra
Svart Hona
Ayam Cemani
Silkies
Some mixes that include any of those, especially if the father is the black-comb breed.

Black combs in chicks are more common than black combs in adults. For example, Black Sexlinks sometimes have black combs when they are young, but the combs get red as they grow older.

This chick may grow up to have a red comb, or a "mulberry" comb (sort of a purple color), rather than an actual black one. Or it may stay black.

I see pink foot bottoms. I believe you got an Australorp, or a mix of one.

A farm store.
If you bought the chick from a farm store in the USA, it probably came from one of the major hatcheries.

It might be Hoover's "Mystic Onyx":
https://hoovershatchery.com/mysticonyx.html

Or it could be a Black Sexlink, which sometimes have black combs when young. They usually get red combs when they grow up, but that can take quite a while. (They are sold as Black Sexlink, Black Star, and a few other names. The consistent point is that the females are black while the males have white barring, and the females grow up to lay brown eggs.)

I'm pretty sure there are a few other kinds sold by hatcheries that can also have black combs when they are young, at least sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom