What breed hens should I get for laying eggs

Fort Chicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
I need some advice. I'm going to buy four more hens but I dont know what kind to get. I what them put out a lot of eggs . because I'm going to sell some eggs. I need some help on what kind of hen to get . Please !!!!!!!!!!! :
hmm.png

Last edited:
Im sure everyone will have different views on this .. But i think Hybrids are good for laying eggs in my opinion

According toThis website

Leghorn
Rhode Island Reds
Black Star
Red Star
Light Sussex
Plymouth Rock
Cuckoo Maran
Barred Rock

Are the best egg laying breeds

Large breeds go with Black stars.Ive had great resluts with them

Working gals: American Game hens..medium white eggs,but they lay every day.mine hasnt had a day off with the exception of being broody slaves.

Remember: NO CHICKEN LAYS MORE THAN ONE EGG A DAY!!

I have an ISA Brown who I have had for a good year (she was laying when I got her) and she only takes the occasional day off (like maybe one a month or less)

I have an Araucana (more likely an EE) and she lays me a pretty blue/green egg most days - She takes a day off about once every 2 weeks or so.

I have an Australorp and she she lays almost as often as the ISA Brown EXCEPT, she goes broody (which is to be expected)

Australorps are great if you have kids around, they are very calm and give me an egg a day they also start laying at 18 weeks.

Leghorns are the most economical egg machines, but they get very nervous and with little kids or other small living things it is hot so great, they also don;t really get along with anyone (bird or human).

I found the reds to mean to keep around, even for eggs and since they are large they are not as economical as a smaller bird that lays fewer eggs.

great info! reading this thread to see how we will fair with egg production with the breeds we chose...which are 4 Red Sex Links, 4 RIR, 2 SLW, 2 BA, 1 Barred Rock, 3 EE's

Quote:

My RIRs, Black Australorps and Dominiques all give me an egg a day (well, out of 8 of those laying, I get 7-8 eggs a day). Mine are young though, at 6 months old, so in their "prime" egg production. The Dominques' eggs are medium sized though, while the RIRs and BAs are pretty big. My 3 easter eggers have just started laying and theirs are medium large at this point. I get 2 (out of 3 hens) a day from them. If the other size trends continue (smaller when they first start laying), then I expect their eggs to start coming in at the "large" range too, within a few weeks.

I got some buff productions, I heard they were good and docile.

Nelgkel: are you getting them from Andrew at Funky Chicken? He is in W. Melbourne, I got my buffs, welsummer, and EE from him. He has a big selection.

Back
Top Bottom