What breed/hybrid are these chooks?

CluelessHen

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 8, 2013
I got these 2 Hens and Roo about 2 months ago but wasnt told their breed.

This is Elvis the roo, I havnt a clue what breed or hybrid he is. (He is around half a year or less) he is just coming into his adult plumage.
He has a black beak, black legs, a purple comb, and he also has a tiny tuft of black feathers right at the base of his foot.

Audrey, no idea what she is either.
Features that are not visible here are her black legs with white feathers on them. She is also on the small size (bantam of some sort)

Daphne, mystery breed/hybrid hen.
She is a medium sized hen, orange/pink legs, red comb. (sorry I couldnt get both hens up as they are broody and would have lost an arm)

Thanks for the help

I am by no means an expert, in fact I'm more of a newbie but think the black skin on the first two could indicate that they are part Silky?

I would agree that the first two probably have some silkie in them. Or perhaps one of the few other breeds with black skin - sumatra?

Also, the hens look like they may have red sex-link in them. Pretty birds!

Awesome, thanks.
I thought Sex link too but the black skin on the other 2 baffled me. I dont think they have sumatra in them as I am from NZ and I am pretty sure they are quite rare here.

they are mixes and do not look to have silkie in them. there are other black skinned breeds such as sumatras but there is no telling what they have in them at all

Here is a link to an old thread that discusses comb color: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/216174/black-comb-and-face/10

They list Australorps as one breed that can have unexpectedly dark (mulberry) combs. Another that was mentioned was a Black Sex Link. I also came across several links to mulberry colored combs on Sebrights in Australia, not to far from you, although the comb type is wrong for a Sebright. I have seen Modern Games with Mulberry coloring, although the body type of your boy is wrong for that

Your ladies are particularly pretty!

my parents have a sebright with a mulberry colored comb as well...just because its mulberry doesnt mean it is mixed with a dark skinned bird....the hens remind me of some amber links i have seen here in the US

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom