what breed is best

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by zayn, Jan 5, 2015.

1. zayn

zayn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    hi does anyone know:

1. what chicken breed is the best for the cockerel to ake the least noise?
    2. what small chicken breed will sit and incubate eggs_chicken or maybe quail with lucK?

any comments would be much appreciated

zayn

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    The Japanese bantam is a good hen to hatch.In fact,Japanese roos have a lil hard time to crow.
    My aunts bantams has went broody a bunch!

3. zayn

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

4. otter123

otter123 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    When getting a rooster, keep in mind that a bantam has a higher pitch crow which in some cases is worse than a regular rooster. Silkie bantam hens go broody often, are excellent mothers, and are light enough to hatch quail eggs without breaking them. Best of luck!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    For both of your criteria (as long as egg production isn't a priority), I would suggest Silkies. The roosters are relatively quiet (as roosters go; understanding that all roosters will crow), and the Silkie hens are the very best brooders and mothers. Our Silkie hens raised several broods for us.

6. the1913trio

the1913trio Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    I totally agree with what everyone has said. Many people have told me that the smaller bantam roos that crow squeal fairly loudly so it seems to carry further than a larger roos crow does. I knew a lady that had a silkie roo that didn't hardly ever crow (he was more like one of the ladies, but the fertilized eggs confirmed he was indeed a roo). That being said roosters all have their own personalities so if you get one type of breed as a chick it is kind of hard to know for sure at that point how noisy they will be and how often until they grow up. There are always TONS of people trying to get rid of roos on craigslist, etc, and you would know at that point how vocal they tend to be in order to get a quieter roo.

We live in the city and cannot keep roosters, but we had a buff orpington rooster we hatched that was quite the gentleman. Incredibly sweet and didn't crow much. With a rooster collar combined with the orpington roos docile personality I doubt we would have bothered the neighbors (but we sent him to freezer camp since we were in need of more chicken for food). I am wondering if a rooster collar (have you seen those before?) would do the trick. Type it in to Youtube and they have videos of what a roo sounds like with the collar on. I was thinking if you had a more docile roo that didn't crow a ton and/or a rooster collar you may do well meeting your goal.

I would look into a bantam hen for sure to go broody and hatch out smaller eggs like quail. I have heard good reviews about successful bantam broodies with cochins and silkies.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  7. zayn

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    thanks for the advice, yeah egg production isnt a priority, will look into the rooster collars, and i will probably check for a bantam/silkie and see which does the trik

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by