What breed is for me?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Smittenroade, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    So, I have some game chickens for brooding, leghorns for egg laying, and cornish X's for meat. Now I want some kind of show chicken, I was thinking about getting into a little exhibition. However, this is all new territory for me. I'm looking for a breed that isn't as common as a silkie, but not unattainable as some of the super rare breeds. I was kinda leaning towards a phoenix or maybe one of the top hat breeds, sultan or polish. Anyone got any suggestions?

PS: I just built a giant coop and need to fill it.

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I would get some not-so-great quality of what you are looking for a few of each and whichever you like best that would be the one I would sink money in. That is what I did and I finally landed on Ameraucanas. I just can't get into anything like I can them. They are awesome and I probably spend too much on the ones I have but oh well! [​IMG]

3. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Quote:I would first probably buy them from Ideal, which you would say is not-so-good quality? Do people usually breed up from bad quality? Or buy from a localized breeder that has good blood line chickens?

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:I would first probably buy them from Ideal, which you would say is not-so-good quality? Do people usually breed up from bad quality? Or buy from a localized breeder that has good blood line chickens?

Yeah hatcheries don't always have great stuff, BUT that is where I got my start in chickens. I eventually sold them all of and bought from good breeders locally then I bought some from some of the best in the Midwest. Its very difficult to breed up and very expensive. MUCH cheaper to start with the best.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ya gotta love chicken math, got room, need birds! [​IMG]

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Unfortunately hatchery birds usually = 'not so good' birds, as far as show-standard. (most of them are sweet and wonderful chickens)

You could always try Cochins, those are my personal favorites. They're so tame and quiet, and come in A LOT of different colors. Also, I get amused by their leg feathers. They look permenantly dressed for a sleep-over in their little feather PJs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by