What breed is for me?

Smittenroade

Songster
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
North East Texas
So, I have some game chickens for brooding, leghorns for egg laying, and cornish X's for meat. Now I want some kind of show chicken, I was thinking about getting into a little exhibition. However, this is all new territory for me. I'm looking for a breed that isn't as common as a silkie, but not unattainable as some of the super rare breeds. I was kinda leaning towards a phoenix or maybe one of the top hat breeds, sultan or polish. Anyone got any suggestions?

PS: I just built a giant coop and need to fill it.

I would get some not-so-great quality of what you are looking for a few of each and whichever you like best that would be the one I would sink money in. That is what I did and I finally landed on Ameraucanas. I just can't get into anything like I can them. They are awesome and I probably spend too much on the ones I have but oh well!
roll.png

Quote:
I would first probably buy them from Ideal, which you would say is not-so-good quality? Do people usually breed up from bad quality? Or buy from a localized breeder that has good blood line chickens?

Quote:
I would first probably buy them from Ideal, which you would say is not-so-good quality? Do people usually breed up from bad quality? Or buy from a localized breeder that has good blood line chickens?

Yeah hatcheries don't always have great stuff, BUT that is where I got my start in chickens. I eventually sold them all of and bought from good breeders locally then I bought some from some of the best in the Midwest. Its very difficult to breed up and very expensive. MUCH cheaper to start with the best.

Unfortunately hatchery birds usually = 'not so good' birds, as far as show-standard. (most of them are sweet and wonderful chickens)

You could always try Cochins, those are my personal favorites. They're so tame and quiet, and come in A LOT of different colors. Also, I get amused by their leg feathers. They look permenantly dressed for a sleep-over in their little feather PJs.

Back
Top Bottom