what breed is my duckling?

I also need help determining what kinna duck I have. I bought it from a pet store who had a mixed batch and new nothing at all about them becuz the breeder did not give papers with them. I picked what I thought was and hoped was a mallard male. Now im not so sure its a mallard. It has all black feet with very little bit of a white spot. fPlease help!
[/URL] Looks like a rouen (which looks like a large mallard).

Last edited:
Someone please help me determine what kind of duck I have. U bought it at a pet store who had a mixed batch of ducklings. They got tuem from a breeder and had no clue what kinna ducks they were or how old. I picked out a duck i hoped was a mallard but now im not so sure. Its feet are all black with a thin cream
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG] color outling its toes. Please help!

Someone please help me determine what kind of duck I have. U bought it at a pet store who had a mixed batch of ducklings. They got tuem from a breeder and had no clue what kinna ducks they were or how old. I picked out a duck i hoped was a mallard but now im not so sure. Its feet are all black with a thin cream
[/URL] color outling its toes. Please help!

Still looks like a rouen, their feet sometimes change color as they grow older.

Thank you! I tryed revising my first post an accidently did 2 posts. Lol quote name="desertdarlene" url="/t/768726/what-breed-is-my-duckling/30#post_11130838"]
Still looks like a rouen, their feet sometimes change color as they grow older.
[/quote]

You're welcome. I was having problems quoting your first post, so my first one got a little messy. I think you will love your rouen, they look like mallards, but are usually too heavy to fly. You might want to think about getting a second one as ducklings get lonely by themselves.

Im gonna have to get another one becuz it wants constant attention. If its not bieng held by me all day it will screach and cry until i pick it up. It chases me around the house screaching till i sit then itll jump on my lap and sleep.. quote name="desertdarlene" url="/t/768726/what-breed-is-my-duckling/30#post_11131118"]You're welcome.  I was having problems quoting your first post, so my first one got a little messy.  I think you will love your rouen, they look like mallards, but are usually too heavy to fly.  You might want to think about getting a second one as ducklings get lonely by themselves.
[/quote]

So my duckling is now 7 weeks old and to me still looks nothing like a Silver Appleyard(from what I have seen of other silver appleyard pics). What do you guys think?

Last edited:
By the way, and this is only my guess and may not be the case, but I have a feeling that your duckling might be a boy. We'll have to wait and see if I'm right because it's still too early to be definitive about gender. Both males and females are very beautiful.
And I think you are correct in it being a boy. My other 3 ducklings at 7 weeks are quacking and this one does a quieter raspy peeping. Time will tell.

Hmmm, doesn't look like an appleyard anymore, but I still have a feeling it is and will change colors soon.

I agree. There's no mistaking it as a baby, so I'm thinking its in the awkward teen stage.. a drake who is in the mallard-hen-look phase. As he gets older, I'm guessing he'll feather out more to look like an Appleyard drake. :)

Back
Top Bottom