What breed is this duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shandyhorse, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Shandyhorse

Shandyhorse Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    Hello guys :) I have a duck called "Ducky", which i found when it was very young wandering around in our backyard [first we saw another duckling [a black and white one], but unfortunately lost it :( but then we found this duckling] , Ive had him for over a month now, he stays in my spare chicken hutch but untill about 2 weeks ago, where i had been putting him in the cat cage at night when he was little because of the cold.
    He lives on chicken food, [watered down mash and corn pieces], and worms etc

BUT i am wondering what breed he is, Here are some photos.

When we found him:
    [​IMG]

and recent pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[he now has a paddling pool, not a bath to swim in :p]

yeah, so what breed do you think it is, and sex too.. Used to think he was like a swedish black x pekin but I have no idea! :)

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    What a gorgeous Muscovy you have there- no idea about sex yet though sorry. I was looking at the size of the feet and length of body, but it can be easier to sex them when you have a few to compare to each other.

Sure looks like one very spoilt- and well cared for duck. !!

3. Shandyhorse

Jan 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    Dont muscovys have the red beak thingy? everyone keeps on saying ducky is, but i havent seen any of them around where i live, only swedish blacks, pekins and mallards. I will get some other photos of him tomorrow so you can see the actual size [if you know how big one of those shell shaped paddling pools are :p]

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    That will come in time. They dont hatch with it- but it grows in as they mature. Id love to see some more photos of Ducky though- those lovely two tone feet are gorgeous.

5. Shandyhorse

Jan 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    Well I guess it would explain his friendliness - there was a Muscovy at a zoo I went to once, it did exactly what Ducky does, Wagging his tail, quacking HEAPS and always opening its mouth like its wanting something to eat :)
    Will get more pics later :)

6. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Omg what a cute Muscovy you have there!!!! I have a sweet boy named Duckie. He is also a scovy. I am not expert and like ducky said it's still hard to sex. I can't tell yet. Maybe in a few weeks we can get an idea. To me right now it kinda looks like a girl but it's really hard to tell in pictures. Enjoy! Muscovies are awesome pets!!

7. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Adorable Muscovy! [​IMG]

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    aww.. so darn cute! and yeah the fleshy red parts come later! Muscovy are huge tail waggers'.. i find all mine do it(hens/drakes)

9. Shandyhorse

Jan 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    Thanks everyone :) Well i guess if he was a Muscovy then someone would of had to breed him ae?

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Very pretty congrats!! I have 10 and love them all they are like puppies with feathers. I even have a house drake.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by