Gracie is now 10 days old. She's a sweet little girl. Very docile, non-aggressive. Just seems to follow along where everyone else goes.
20200527_145417.jpg

Here's some pics I took today. Maybe we're closer to an actual breed identification? She is really growing into a beautiful bird! Her feathers are almost blue!
20200527_145329.jpg

Attachments

• 20200527_145320.jpg
    20200527_145320.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 0
We got this little gray girl on May 19, 2020 from Murray McMurray Hatchery in a group of assorted layers. Can anybody help me identify her breed?

View attachment 2152036
These pics were taken this morning, 05/ 21/2020. She is about 3 to 5 days old. It looks like her legs might be turning gray.

Thank you.😊
Thanks everyone! Grace is now full-grown at a year old. She lays a pink cream egg and is a fairly good sized bird. We believe she is likely a Blue Australorp (at least that's what the hatchery suggested).
20201122 Grace 4.jpg

These are the eggs we get from our 4 hens. I love Grace's pretty cream pink ones.😊
20210110 Eggs 1a.jpg

Grace (Australorp)
Sophie (Buff-Laced Polish)
Mala (Americauna) eggshells are blue inside.
LuLu (Pearl White Leghorn)

Thanks everyone! Grace is now full-grown at a year old. She lays a pink cream egg and is a fairly good sized bird. We believe she is likely a Blue Australorp (at least that's what the hatchery suggested).
View attachment 2727791
These are the eggs we get from our 4 hens. I love Grace's pretty cream pink ones.😊
View attachment 2727792
Grace (Australorp)
Sophie (Buff-Laced Polish)
Mala (Americauna) eggshells are blue inside.
LuLu (Pearl White Leghorn)
Blue inside? That's interesting...

Totally normal! With brown shells, the pigment is only deposited on the outside, with blue it's all through the shell. Since they're caused by different genes pertaining to different parts of the shell, it's why green eggs exist due to the overlay of pigment! Here's an article!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/gms1-genetics-of-egg-color/amp/
That's what I found, too. I've also found there's a lot of controversy among chicken-keepers regarding breeds. My Mala is an "Ameraucana", originally developed in the 1970s, derived from the Araucana. Due to genetic variations about 5% of hatchlings may lay eggs where the outside shell is green or brown instead of blue, but the interior of the shell is always blue. The "Ameraucana" breed was admitted into the standard of Perfection by the American Poultry Association in 1984.

Back
Top Bottom