What Breed is this Hen?

fradytrc

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Central NC
I have been trying to determine what type of hen this is. I have 2 of these almost identical. One of them lays an egg everyday that is medium tan in color. I thought she looked a lot like a Welsummer but the eggs are not dark enough. I have hatched 3 chicks from her in my incubator and they also look like pictures of Welsummer chicks. The picture is a little dark so I hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance:)

Here is a pic of the chick:

Possibly.....my uncle bought the 2 hens and brought them to me....I have no idea the farm they came from. I know the chick would have to be a mix....Either an old english bantam or a blue orpington is the daddy....I'm guessing the old english bantam. The chicks are 3 weeks old now and are looking a lot like mama. I wanted to find some pics of chicks at different ages so I could start trying to see if these babies are roos or pullets.

I have a girl who is a hard feather big hen. She lays porcelain eggs/good size. She has stunning white lobes & very large comb. You can see the rest from the photo. The guy I got her from rescues & sells. He THINKS her mother was Plymouth Rock & father black Spanish. I'm wondering if she could be campine or Sicilian buttercup? Or any other? She has had several barred offspring. None with her beautiful lobes or comb & Wattle. Her
man is a lavender Araucana rooster.
1f60d.png
She has just started another molt so doesn't look her usual best.

These chicks are 3 weeks old today. The first 2 pics are of the same chick. The one in the brooder is a different one.

Last edited:
Chick-a-Biddy she is beautiful!!! Are those lavender orpingtons in the background? or are those the lavender aracaunas?

Last edited:
They are Lavendar Araucana. The far left (muffy) needs a bit of fattening up as she has just decided after about a month that she isn't broody & she has lost her quite a bit of body fat sitting in the nesting box. She'll put it on fast though. She's been hungry.
1f61d.png

The white one on the very far left is a cross leghorn X Araucana daddy. She lays fabulous 60gm green eggs & never takes a day off.
It's the one in the center of the photo that I'm curious about. Any ideas?

@chick-a-biddy

My guess would be that she is brown leghorn x barred rock. It looks like a single comb, slightly flopped over from what I can see, rather than anything more exotic like a Sicilian type comb. What I can't figure out is why her legs are white or is that an optical illusion? Pretty hen that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom