What Breed is this Hen?

fradytrc

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Central NC
I have been trying to determine what type of hen this is. I have 2 of these almost identical. One of them lays an egg everyday that is medium tan in color. I thought she looked a lot like a Welsummer but the eggs are not dark enough. I have hatched 3 chicks from her in my incubator and they also look like pictures of Welsummer chicks. The picture is a little dark so I hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance:)

Here is a pic of the chick:

I have a girl who is a hard feather big hen. She lays porcelain eggs/good size. She has stunning white lobes & very large comb. You can see the rest from the photo. The guy I got her from rescues & sells. He THINKS her mother was Plymouth Rock & father black Spanish. I'm wondering if she could be campine or Sicilian buttercup? Or any other? She has had several barred offspring. None with her beautiful lobes or comb & Wattle. Her man is a lavender Araucana rooster.
1f60d.png
She has just started another molt so doesn't look her usual best.

She IS barred. btw if you bred her with a non-barred- for example, your Araucana rooster, that would be a sex linked mating.. all chicks with white head spot would be male.

She easily could pass for rock crossed with white faced spanish, however she has too much brown coloring to be this cross.. and could not be in the way as described, again for sex linkage- rock mother and spanish father would only produce barred sons and non-barred daughters.

If the seller had a barred rooster that was not strictly black and white, he could be the father of her over a spanish hen.. that would produce barreds in both sexes.

If the seller was very loose with naming, calling a barred rock crossed with RIR "barred rock", then that is a possiblity- this sort of cross rooster over a spanish would easily produce a hen like her.

In the end... suspect none of us will really know unless you are in contact with the seller and ask what breeds he has..

another thought, if the seller has legbars, then legbar crossed with spanish or a crossed leghorn such as California White would work perfectly for her.

Last edited:
Possibly.....my uncle bought the 2 hens and brought them to me....I have no idea the farm they came from. I know the chick would have to be a mix....Either an old english bantam or a blue orpington is the daddy....I'm guessing the old english bantam. The chicks are 3 weeks old now and are looking a lot like mama. I wanted to find some pics of chicks at different ages so I could start trying to see if these babies are roos or pullets.

I have a girl who is a hard feather big hen. She lays porcelain eggs/good size. She has stunning white lobes & very large comb. You can see the rest from the photo. The guy I got her from rescues & sells. He THINKS her mother was Plymouth Rock & father black Spanish. I'm wondering if she could be campine or Sicilian buttercup? Or any other? She has had several barred offspring. None with her beautiful lobes or comb & Wattle. Her
man is a lavender Araucana rooster.
1f60d.png
She has just started another molt so doesn't look her usual best.

These chicks are 3 weeks old today. The first 2 pics are of the same chick. The one in the brooder is a different one.

Last edited:
Chick-a-Biddy she is beautiful!!! Are those lavender orpingtons in the background? or are those the lavender aracaunas?

Last edited:
They are Lavendar Araucana. The far left (muffy) needs a bit of fattening up as she has just decided after about a month that she isn't broody & she has lost her quite a bit of body fat sitting in the nesting box. She'll put it on fast though. She's been hungry.
1f61d.png

The white one on the very far left is a cross leghorn X Araucana daddy. She lays fabulous 60gm green eggs & never takes a day off.
It's the one in the center of the photo that I'm curious about. Any ideas?

@chick-a-biddy

My guess would be that she is brown leghorn x barred rock. It looks like a single comb, slightly flopped over from what I can see, rather than anything more exotic like a Sicilian type comb. What I can't figure out is why her legs are white or is that an optical illusion? Pretty hen that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom