What breed is this hen?

brandy21410

Songster
Feb 26, 2016
Apple Valley (high desert) , Ca
My mom just bought some chickens and we were hoping to figure out what breed they are? If any mone has any idea it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

She looks like a blue Australorp perhaps. Has she laid any eggs for you yet as that could help narrow it down.

Last edited:
A large blue hen with no other characteristics is going to be hard to narrow down exactly. I'll vote Australorp as well. Nothing else is coming to mind "other than maybe a Jersey Giant, but that doesn't look right either". Though her legs are lighter than they should be for an Australorp.

I'm thinking mixed breed. No specific breed jumps out when I look at her. She's a nice blue Barnyard Mix is my guess.

A large blue hen with no other characteristics is going to be hard to narrow down exactly. I'll vote Australorp as well. Nothing else is coming to mind "other than maybe a Jersey Giant, but that doesn't look right either".  Though her legs are lighter than they should be for an Australorp.

Thank u for the info, and I think ur right she doesnt quite fut the characteristics of any particular breed so.. I hope she is a good brooder because I want to breed her.

She a good sized, healthy looking hen. She should to good for you. Doesn't look particularly old either.

Is she starting to molt or have some rooster damage? I'm trying to figure out how old she may be - looking kind of rough otherwise. I think blue Australorp also

Back
Top Bottom