1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brandy21410, Aug 11, 2016.

1. brandy21410

brandy21410 Chillin' With My Peeps

My mom just bought some chickens and we were hoping to figure out what breed they are? If any mone has any idea it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JaeG

JaeG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    She looks like a blue Australorp perhaps. Has she laid any eggs for you yet as that could help narrow it down.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    A large blue hen with no other characteristics is going to be hard to narrow down exactly. I'll vote Australorp as well. Nothing else is coming to mind "other than maybe a Jersey Giant, but that doesn't look right either". Though her legs are lighter than they should be for an Australorp.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking mixed breed. No specific breed jumps out when I look at her. She's a nice blue Barnyard Mix is my guess.

5. brandy21410

Yes they are light brown eggs

6. brandy21410

Thank u for the info, and I think ur right she doesnt quite fut the characteristics of any particular breed so.. I hope she is a good brooder because I want to breed her.

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    She a good sized, healthy looking hen. She should to good for you. Doesn't look particularly old either.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is she starting to molt or have some rooster damage? I'm trying to figure out how old she may be - looking kind of rough otherwise. I think blue Australorp also

9. brandy21410

Yes alittle of both she is molting and the roo has just been separated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by