What breed is this? Meyer Meal Maker

That's not an Easter egger.

It's not quite how I remember my Dark cornish looking, but similar. I'm leaning toward maybe Barnevelder? I had a few chicks of that breed last year but didn't keep them long and don't have pics. Not sure who is familiar with them, maybe Lady? I'll see if she'll take a look....

Thanks for helping me identify this mystery chick! I'm very curious! Sorry the lighting in my pictures isn't the best; I have them in my basement for the next couple of weeks.

Partridge Rock would be my guess.

Not a Barnevelder. Barnevelder chicks have cream or white chests (some lines claim you can sex by the cream or the white, but that is not really true).

Also, you would be seeing some gold lines coming in to dark body...hint of gold lacing to come.

That looks more like development of future partridge to me.

LofMc

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/barnevelders.html

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/partridge_rocks.html

I didn't keep photos of my early Barnevelders...but you can see the gold striping starting to come into the wings. These are both males, so the chests grew in black. Females have the gold stippling on the chests too as they grow in juvenile feathers. You can see the left over of white/cream chest from chick down.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking a look and for the links and pictures! I see! Mine looks much different! I really appreciate the time and thought you put into your response!

Last edited:
I was just about to post again...somehow I missed seeing page 2.

I went back and looked...and yes, I see some gold penciling on the wings, but that is still not a Barnevelder as the chick down was completely wrong as you can see in the links I gave you.

Also, there would be a lot more gold penciling in the wings and chest as you an see from my Barney boys.

I'm still leaning to Partridge Rock.

Not a Wyandotte as that is not (from what I can see in photos) a rosecomb.

What options did the Meal Maker list?

LofMc

Another photo of a Barnevelder juvenile...you'll see what I mean by gold stipling throughout (not my photo but from the BYC Barnevelder thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/593330/lightbox/post/15663137/id/7034782 )

900x900px-LL-e715ed7c_IMG_20150702_092113.jpeg

Last edited:
Your barnevelders are beautiful! I appreciate the response. I'm new to chicken keeping, and I'm enjoying learning as much as I can about the different breeds and chicken keeping in general. Meyer didn't list what breeds the meal makers that day could be... I guess it could have been any of the breeds that they hatch. I think they will just include whatever "extra" birds they have when they're packing orders. I'm so curious to see what breed she ends up being!

Yes, Barnevelders are simply gorgeous.

I sadly ended up with all boys, so I didn't get the breeding trio I had envisioned.

But oh well...the Barney roosters are so sweet that I kept one of the roos and he's the cock of the flock now.

I decided to go for olive eggers instead. :D

LofMc

Post again when the bird is more mature.

It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be.

Sometimes the extra chick is a "packing peanut" which can me a hatchery oops...mixed breed.

It could possible be a very badly colored Barnevelder...but the legs have dark wash which is all wrong.

It honestly is a bit dark for a Partridge Rock...but that again is the best I can come up with right now.

Post again. We'd love to see.

LofMc

I'll update again in a few weeks! Thank you again for the time you took to share links and pictures and look at my posts. I really appreciate it, and I'm sure others in the future will find your posts beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom