What breed is this? Meyer Meal Maker

Not sure on wing bows....it is still developing, so it will grow into its colors literally.

Here is Feathersite's Rock page. You can see samples of Partridge Rocks there.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rocks/BRKRocks.html

That's my best guess thus far.

LofMc

I didn't realize Rocks came in so many colors!

Funny, there's Columbian Wyandottes too and of course buff orps. Is the Columbian just a pattern not a breed then?

As much as I would love to have every variety of Rock (and Orpington and Australorp and Wyandotte and and and lol) I'm not sure I'd want Buff Rocks AND Buff Orpingtons in the same flock - I'd never be able to tell them apart! Lol

Colombian is a color. It's the white body with the black collar and tail. Found in Rocks, Wyandottes, Light Brahmas are Colombian colored, Delawares are Colombian with barring. I know there's more.....

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many!

Okay so stupid question here but if I got, say, one each of those, or like the same colors in different breeds like buff, blue, and black Orpingtons and Rocks etc., how would I be able to tell them apart? Are there significant body differences or not really? Also, obviously hatcheries don't carry most of these colors but the ones that do, I'm assuming there's less of or minimal difference in the hatchery quality ones because they're not to standard anyway?

Still thinking Dark Cornish, but age could change that, I suppose.
smile.png

~Alex

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many!

Okay so stupid question here but if I got, say, one each of those, or like the same colors in different breeds like buff, blue, and black Orpingtons and Rocks etc., how would I be able to tell them apart? Are there significant body differences or not really? Also, obviously hatcheries don't carry most of these colors but the ones that do, I'm assuming there's less of or minimal difference in the hatchery quality ones because they're not to standard anyway?
In theory, there should be significant differences in body shape and how the bird carries themselves. In practice, with hatchery stock, it's not always so obvious.

You usually get down to things like skin/shank color, comb style, other features like that. For example, Orpingtons have white skin, Rocks have yellow skin. Wyandottes have rose combs. Now, the difference in body shape should be quite apparent, but it's not always, especially with juvenile birds. They all look kind of lanky and teenager-ish for a while
hmm.png

In theory, there should be significant differences in body shape and how the bird carries themselves. In practice, with hatchery stock, it's not always so obvious. 

You usually get down to things like skin/shank color, comb style, other features like that. For example, Orpingtons have white skin, Rocks have yellow skin. Wyandottes have rose combs. Now, the difference in body shape should be quite apparent, but it's not always, especially with juvenile birds. They all look kind of lanky and teenager-ish for a while :/ . 

That makes sense, hatchery stock tends not to be the best quality ha

I had forgotten there might be differences in legs and combs, that's a good point. Now that you mention it, my Barred Rock does have yellow legs and the 3 Buff Orpingtons all have white legs just like you said. The EEs I think have more of a green? Or white with dark wash? I can't remember what color legs the Black Australorps have.

Thanks for all the info!

Well, these responses are a little disappointing! I hope she/he isn't a Dark Cornish, and I really hope this bird isn't a cockerel! Dark Cornish chickens don't lay very well, correct? I live in the city, and I primarily have chickens for eggs and for the landscaping help. I definitely cannot keep a rooster!

Back
Top Bottom