What breed is this new Rooster?

Patrick10

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2019
A neighbor drove by the other day and saw me out with my chickens. He pulled in the driveway asked if I wanted a free rooster? He might as well asked if I wanted a free $100 bucks right? I have dealt with chickens my whole life and even hatched out a bunch of various breeds. I do not know what all this rooster is crossed with, but he has beautiful colors and would like to know what you guys think he is crossed with? I think he gets his barring and especially the gray from barred rock, but I don't know what else. Thanks for any help!
IMG_20200127_164759322.jpg
IMG_20200127_164722761.jpg

The Leg color is wrong for Marans...that should be slate grey legs to at most light grey.

I think his color would be called crele. There are a lot of breeds that have crele.
He is definitely a heavier breed type.
Not Leghorn (too heavy, no white earlobe), or Cream Legbar (no crest), or Orpington (not rounded enough, wrong leg color).

He might possibly be a Rhodebar, which breed was based partly on the Golden Brussbar, which is pretty darn close to his coloring.

Chances are he is simply a beautiful mix. Gorgeous bird.
LofMc

Closest breed I can think of would be a Crele Plymouth Rock. But he does have a few traits that are off and that pattern is extremely rare. He is undoubtedly a crossbred in my opinion. But nailing down the exact lineage is nearly impossible. Very good looking rooster you've got there.

Agreed. Mixed breed.
He looks single barred to me. And possibly a buff columbian in the background which might explain the buff leakage at the neck. (At least that's what I got on the genetics calculator when I was thinking about crossing a red barred rooster with a buff columbian hen to figure out possibilities.)

No matter. Conjecture. Beautiful bird plain and simple.
LofMc

A neighbor drove by the other day and saw me out with my chickens. He pulled in the driveway asked if I wanted a free rooster? He might as well asked if I wanted a free $100 bucks right? I have dealt with chickens my whole life and even hatched out a bunch of various breeds. I do not know what all this rooster is crossed with, but he has beautiful colors and would like to know what you guys think he is crossed with? I think he gets his barring and especially the gray from barred rock, but I don't know what else. Thanks for any help!View attachment 2012798View attachment 2012799
What an outfit he's got on there! Almost like little grey striped pants! 😍

Back
Top Bottom