What breed is this roo?

Treegod

Songster
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Catalonia, Spain
Here's one of my cockerels, called Raven. When we bought him we thought he was a hen, turns out we were wrong! But haven't regretted it. So far he's fathered three of our hens, and two cockerels that we have given to other people.

I don't think he's pure bred, yet he has a very distinctive "style" about him.

Here he is:

40730_018.jpg

And here's a lovely close up of the back his neck showing some lovely colour:

40730_017.jpg

Thank you
smile.png

I can see what you mean by Ancona, something "clicks" with that. Someone else on another message board suggested Speckled Sussex, another "clicker".

Kooshie, out of interest, what makes you think Old English Game?

Any other ideas?

He is definitely a Speckled Sussex cross. Look at the leg color - Pink. Sussex have pink/white legs, and it is a dominant trait that passes on to the F1 outcrosses.

Speckled Sussex is what I thought when I intitially saw him. Not sure what else might be in him. I really don't see a game breed due to his shape, feathering, and size. Any chance you could spread his wing out and get a photo of it? There's some interesting pattern going on there.

He's a good looking cock!

He is beautiful! I mean, I may have bought a "hen" in the shop but love what "she" became.

The leg thing is interesting, they are quite pale pink, which I've never seen. Also there is a slight reddish-pink link going down it ("go faster" stripes lol)

I'll see what I can do with a picture of the wing. Tomorrow morning I can take one.

Back
Top Bottom