What breed is this?

dmorgan35

Hatching
May 6, 2016
Wyoming
Hi everyone! I got 12 RIR chicks from the local feed store when they were 2 weeks old. They all were in identical in size, coloring and feather growth. One (Cogburn) of them was huge, very thick legs and was probably two or three times as heavy and thick chested. As they have aged he has grown bigger, is a different shade of red and has a lot of black. They are now at 7 weeks. I have attached some pictures. One shows the size difference and the other is a good color difference. Do you think Cogburn is indeed a RIR? If so is it just maybe that he is a rooster as his name suggests. I'm not concerned because I live in the country but just curious. Thanks for any opinions!

I just hatched rir and I'm fairly sure I have 3 roo and 1 hen. The roo have sharp looking combs and the starts of some red skins on their chin, the hen does not. Her comb is littler and softer in texture and no red cheeks. None of them are mighty large or have any black. Could you maybe have an odd duck? (different breed that snuck in?)

I was thinking that maybe is what happened but I can't find any pics of other breeds that compare to him. I'm hoping he is a rooster so the girls can hatch their own. He lets me pick him up but he does a lot of squeaking that sounds very different than the others. The others are all very adventurous but he is a big ol' scaredy cat. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom