What breed is this

allenc

Hatching
Apr 16, 2016

I think his comb and waddle may be causing him to not be able to hold his head up

Welcome to BYC!
If you can get a different photo we can help with the ID -- but there are parts of the bird key in ID'ing breed that are not visible in this shot....such as leg color, the rest of the body, etc.
As to the head position - is the bird always holding it's head like that or is it just a matter of what was captured in this shot? There is no reason an otherwise healthy bird cannot support their head properly with the comb/wattles this bird has.

Welcome to BYC!
If you can get a different photo we can help with the ID -- but there are parts of the bird key in ID'ing breed that are not visible in this shot....such as leg color, the rest of the body, etc.
As to the head position - is the bird always holding it's head like that or is it just a matter of what was captured in this shot? There is no reason an otherwise healthy bird cannot support their head properly with the comb/wattles this bird has.
Agreed

He is always holding his head that way,like someone nodding off to sleep then waking up

Cracked corn and scratch grain and green leafy vegetables from my garden
And that explains it. Corn, scratch, and veggies are lacking in protein and other vital nutrients that are essential to a chicken's health. Get your whole flock on unmedicated chick starter ASAP, and get some poultry vitamins mixed into their drinking water. You need to act quickly.

There is also a laying mash and grower feed in the encloser,as well as a yard so they can scratch around for bugs and grass,I have a hen of the same breed and she seems to be doing fine

Back
Top Bottom