What Breed Is This?

No. If a mix was bred from EE x EE parents (like how hatcheries breed EEs) then it would probably be called an EE. However, a RIR/BR mix could not be called an EE.
What about if a EE hen was mixed with, say a brown leghorn rooster or the other way (I hatched two EE hen/ brown leghorn rooster mixes recently). Would that be considered an EE? And also, would that mix still lay colorful eggs?

What about if a EE hen was mixed with, say a brown leghorn rooster or the other way (I hatched two EE hen/ brown leghorn rooster mixes recently). Would that be considered an EE? And also, would that mix still lay colorful eggs?
That depends on what genes the EE has. You’ll probably get some colorful egg layers, but if the EE isn’t homozygous for the blue egg shell gene, some of her offspring could lay white eggs.
I would call them EEs if they laid colorful eggs, but if not just call them EE/leghorn mixes.

That depends on what genes the EE has. You’ll probably get some colorful egg layers, but if the EE isn’t homozygous for the blue egg shell gene, some of her offspring could lay white eggs.
I would call them EEs if they laid colorful eggs, but if not just call them EE/leghorn mixes.
Ok. My EE lays green eggs. I have read that a green layer + a white layer = a blue layer. Does it work like that with EE?

Ok. My EE lays green eggs. I have read that a green layer + a white layer = a blue layer. Does it work like that with EE?
No. It doesn’t work like that for any breed.
A green layer + a white layer produces BBOO+bboo= BbOo green layers
Or BbOO+bboo=BbOo and bboo green layers and blue layers
Or BbOo+bboo=BbOo and Bboo and bbOo and bboo Green layers, brown layers, blue layers, and white layers
Or BBOo+bboo= BbOo and Bboo Green layers and brown layers

If I lost you there, basically you could get blue, brown, green, or white layers by crossing green and white, but you can always guarantee green.

I purchased some Ameraucana chicks and this little guy turned out to be a surprise. He has beautiful plumage. Can anyone tell me what breed he is? He is about 10 - 11 weeks old. Thank you!
Same boat - I purchased Silkies and got this sweet surprise. Lil’ critter has an adorable, sweet temperament. Sits in your lap for a cuddle and pet. Have no clue what the breed is, but looks very similar to yours & approx same age. Anyone have any ideas?
07187D2B-320E-438A-9FB1-1A7B60A7CAFB.jpeg
34BD005B-6364-4CB6-A067-10873EE759E3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom