What breed is this....

newTexan2chickens

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
I am going to try this and see if I can figure out how to post a picture.... but I am pretty bad at it!

Anyway, I got these 2 chickens from a lady who had no idea what the parentage is and I have not been able to find something that looks like them. They both have puffy heads and their bodies seem to have puffier feathers, black legs/feet... also the black one has a fairly puffy head.... but does not crow.... so pullet or rooster?? They are probably 12 weeks or so now.
60599_grey_and_black_chickens.jpg

I can try but they are darn active little birds!

Any clue what gives them puffy feathers? That is what I am most curious about. They all came from a lady that hatched out some of the eggs from her egg laying hens... she said they all laid either green or brown eggs and that is about all I could get from her. Thanks!

The Polish is a breed with a poofy crest, because of a vault ('bubble' on the top of their skull) that gives them an afro-ed appearance. Here are a few pictures of mine.

MB1.jpg

more2.jpg

BadHairDay.jpg

That's why I think they are part Polish. There are other breeds with crests but most of them either have feathered feet (which yours don't have) or are not very common. What doesn't fit is that Polish lay white eggs, so maybe her layers have some Polish in them that gives them their poof, but whatever else they're mixed with gives them their egg coloring. This is only guesswork.

Back
Top Bottom