What breed is this?

karri25

Songster
12 Years
Feb 5, 2007
Arkansas
My son got 16 4-H chicks that got us all into raising chickens and now we can't wait to get even more! However, no one knows what breed this is?!?!?!? The people at 4-h just say that they are bovine browns which I think are just a mix of breeds. If this is so than what mix of breeds??? If this is not so and I am the newby that I am, than what breed are these? Also, when we get new chicks in month will they all be ok together??? Is it bad to let breeds mix? THanks for all of the help! As soon as I figure out this attaching pictures thing I will post my new coop so far. I ma so excited about chickens that's all I can think or dream of!!!! THank God for 4-H!

OK, I don't know how to attach pictures, can someone tell me how???

On the blue bar at the top of the page, click FAQ's - posting a picture is the first topic on the page.
We can't wait to see them!

Ahhh, another chicken convert
lau.gif
, They are so much fun aren't they!

I've never heard of bovine browns
hu.gif
can't wait to see pic's!
clap.gif

Mixing different breeds together is not a problem, mixing the different ages might be.

You'll have to play it by ear, the bigger chicks will be capable of killing the smaller ones. Another thing to think about is the younger chicks will need it to be a lot warmer than the older ones.

You may have to keep them seperate until everybody feathers out at about 6 weeks of age, by then they should be ok together. Chickens can be very aggressive toward each other so keep an eye on them when they do get introduced.

Good luck with your babies, and have fun!
lol.png

rooandhens2months.jpg

Hooray!!!! That is my true love, Yellow Wings (my son named him) or Roo as I affectionately call him:) The girls are in the background. I have some other pics but the camera is in the car right now and I don't want to go get it just yet!
THanks for the advice on mixes the new ones withthe old ones. I hope that it all works out well!

Last edited:
Could be red sex links. I have golden comets which the roo's are mostly white and females are red with white feathers underneath. Don't know for sure? Maybe? anyone else?

THanks so much! I looked them up and they look exactly like mine!?!?!?!?!? I am very happy about finally knowing what to call my sweet babies! Thanks a million:)

I agree those are red sex-links, tecncally they are mixes but the significance of the sex-link is that they auto sex, meaning that you can tell geners by the colors of the feathers as soon at they hatch. The name bovin brown is just one type of sex-link.

Thanks, I am very pleased to knwo just what to call them:) 4-H said that they chose them because they are supposed to be excellent egg layers. Here's to hoping!!!

Back
Top Bottom