What breed is this?

zooarch

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Hi. To start off, I went to a local farm and picked out the pullets that I wanted from a large free-ranging flock to add to my little flock of city chickens. I went to get a blue splash marans, a wheaton marans, and an ameraucana (I knew it would be an EE more than likely). I went and I saw and I ended up just picking the chickens that I liked the looks of because there is no chance of me ever breeding them (no roosters). The woman that I bought them from said that one was a wheaten marans. I know that this was probably untrue, but I liked the looks of her so I got her. Now I can't figure out for the life of me what she is. I would love if anybody could tell me and I've become obsessed with it this evening so I'm putting up the picture that I have, but I can take better ones tomorrow and add them. Her name is Buffalo.

Buffalo is on the left. Parmesan is on the right.

51908_294260_10100439453323970_15914987_53131751_2118494030_n.jpg

Here is Potpie, the third one that I bought.

51908_310839_10100439453363890_15914987_53131752_303583863_n.jpg

I don't care if what the breeds she told me are correct, but more I would just like an idea. They are not laying yet (she said they were about 15 weeks or so). She did show me the eggs from the marans coop and they were quite dark. I have had them quarantined for over a month. I've been looking for a picture of a chicken that is similar and can't find one. Her attitude is slightly crazy and she is either completely asleep or running hot laps around the run.

Oh, in the entire flock there were Cinnamon Queen, Production Red, Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, White Rock, Delaware, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Austra-White, Red Leghorn, Cuckoo Marans, Wheaten, Black Copper Marans, and Brown Leghorns. She stated that she kept them in breeding coops when she was collecting eggs for incubation and she showed me those coops. Otherwise they went into coops that were segregated into type, but free-ranged during the day.

The third one is an Easter Egger.

The first on the left is likely a Cuckoo Marans cross, the second one is a pretty splash likely Marans cross.

Quote:
Thanks, I just liked the difference between head and body color which sold her to me, but then became actually interested in which possible cross could have resulted in her.

Quote:
Thanks,

I'm normally one for wanting a specific breed, but I hung out with the woman that owned the entire flock for a while and ended up picking the pullets that I thought had the most attractive/odd coloring and the best personalities for our flock. They will be intermixed with our older cochin and barred rock bantams (Dumpling and Mole).

Back
Top Bottom