What breed is this?

n8mont4

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
New York
The breeder had a mixed pen. He was positive one of the parents was a Spanish Black. What do you think is the other part?

- The turkey in the back is part bourbon red and something else. Not sure.

Any ideas?

Note: The orange strip on the tail is so hunters dont shoot them. They are free range. The orange was sprayed on white feathers on the tail.

Obviously the orange won't stop a hunter unless the hunter recognizes the orange as paint. I would think the fact that it is a hen would be more useful at deterring hunters. However, the question is...what kind of turkey is this?

If one of the parents were a true Spanich black, it would have two black-based genes, which are dominant, and the offspring should look like blacks. However, if the parent only had a single black-based gene, then the offspring may have none and could be pretty much anything, depending on what else is around to breed with. For example, there is a Golden Narragansett in the background. A black bird with a single black-based gene crossed with a Golden Narragansett could produce standard bronze. Of course, other genes would be tucked away inside the genome. The bird in the picture could be a standard bronze, although there are some white flecks, which may be other genes trying to express themselves or could be junk white from poor breeding.

By the way, Bourbon Red hens crossed with Royal Palm toms will produce Golden Narragansett hens (Red Bronze toms).

Obviously the orange won't stop a hunter unless the hunter recognizes the orange as paint.   I would think the fact that it is a hen would be more useful at deterring hunters.  However, the question is...what kind of turkey is this?
This was my thought as well. I wouldn't recognize that as paint, but I'm not a hunter.

Back
Top Bottom