1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MidtownChickns, Nov 18, 2013.

1. MidtownChickns

MidtownChickns New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    Hello again Good Chicken People!

Thank you for the helpful feedback regarding my barred rock pair - who have now gone to live with the cousins because no roos aloud in our town + in our yard (ha). I purchased some chicks a couple weeks ago and wondered if you would mind sharing your ideas on:
    a). What breed is Baby Ruth? (pics below)
    b). Is "Weeza Steel Magnolia" some type of Americauna?

Baby Ruth
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Baby Ruth (far left)
    [​IMG]

Weeza Steel Magnolia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Weeza as a Baby
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  2. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Baby Ruth looks like a Bared rock but it does have a lot of whites for a bared rock.
    The other chick looks like my Americaunas I have raised hope this helps.

3. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    I think you have two cross bred chicks. the first girl looks like a barred rock cross to me and the second has yellow legs so americuana is out. There is a chance it is an Americuana cross or a EE cross but I don't see any ear muffs or gray legs. so I am leaning towards a RIR cross. I have a RIR rooster over my hens and i had two chicks hatch that looked a lot like these.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    First one may be black sex link cockerel. That one definitely looks like a boy though. Definitely some sort of mix. Do you know how old? It looks young and the amount of comb and size of the legs concern me.

Second one looks somewhat like a speckled Sussex, but I'm not sure if she is a pure Sussex. She may retain her white spots, but only time will tell. Otherwise I would say she may be a RIR/speckled Sussex cross. Definitely a pullet.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree. Mixed breed cockerel for the first bird, mixed breed probable pullet for the second.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    First one looks like a mixed breed cockerel, probably with some Barred ancestors. Second bird is a mixed breed pullet.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Sorry Farm, it's not an Ameraucana. If your chicks looked like this, they are not Ameraucanas, either. The color is not an accepted color for Ameraucana, the legs are the wrong color, and the chick doesn't have a beard or pea comb (although it's hard to see the comb in the pics). If your birds laid blue or green eggs, they were Easter Eggers. I don't think the chick in the photo is an EE, though, for the reasons I stated.

Quote:
    I agree, two mixed breed birds.

8. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

The first one looks like a barred rock cross but definelty not a regular barred rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by