What breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jeffreytfinley, Jan 11, 2014.

1. jeffreytfinley

jeffreytfinley Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    I bought this hen today, but don't have any idea what breed she is. She has feathers on her legs, but not her toes. She is HUGE!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'm pretty sure that's a rooster :( He seems to have saddle and hackle feathers. His comb is small but that's because it's a pea comb I think. I'm not sure of his breed, perhaps someone else will know.

3. jeffreytfinley

Jun 11, 2013
    I bought it at an animal auction and they said it was a hen! :(

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sorry :( It does look like he has those long pointy, shiny hackle and saddle feathers, and only roosters get those.

5. jeffreytfinley

Jun 11, 2013
    Any ideas on a breed? I thought maybe Cornish-but the feathers on the legs don't make sense, or a Malay? Or it could just be a mix of something.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mixed breed rooster.

Photos don't always show things like this well, but that bird does not appear well. The hunched posture, the eyes seem not as bright as normal, the feathers look dull. Since it's in with other birds in the pic I'm guessing you didn't quarantine? You'll want to keep a close eye on him and your flock to make sure he didn't bring in any illness.

7. 2chicks poultry

2chicks poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    Othello Washington
    He doesn't look very healthy[​IMG] And I think hes a Shamo or a Malay and be very careful because those breeds can be extremely aggressive.

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

9. jeffreytfinley

Jun 11, 2013
    Those birds all came from the same place, and I thought the same thing. They appeared as if they had been in small cages, because when I put them in the house, they had trouble standing and walking. They are doing much better now.

10. HRChicks

HRChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    Definitely rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by