What breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by maciasfamily925, Aug 14, 2014.

1. maciasfamily925

maciasfamily925 Just Hatched

Jun 18, 2014
    [​IMG]
    we purchased this chick from Cal Ranch and happily paid extra for what was signed as an Aracauna. After reading up on my new treasure, I realized this chick is not rumpless and must be a different breed. We love our little Cleo but want to know what she is. EE OR Black sexlink maybe? Thanks!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Not a black sex link, since she is not black. Most likely an EE.

1 person likes this.
  3. maciasfamily925

Jun 18, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. maciasfamily925

Jun 18, 2014
    [​IMG]

5. The ChickenKing

The ChickenKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    NY
    I have an EE that looked just like that when she was that age

1 person likes this.
  6. maciasfamily925

Jun 18, 2014
    Thanks when I showed Cal Ranch employee he said it was a Black sexlink. But I couldn't find a picture that looked like her.

7. enola

Black sex links hatch out black. The hens stay black with some red. Males are barred like their mother with maybe a little red on their shoulders.

1 person likes this.
  8. swimmerchick

swimmerchick Out Of The Brooder

That is a brown americauna by the looks of things! I would know, I breed them! it is very easy to mix up chicken breeds when they are chicks, but i would still email the farm and tell them they gave you the WRONG breed for future reference...

1 person likes this.
  9. enola

If the chick came from a hatchery, chances are not good for it to be an Ameraucana.

And Ameraucana is NOT spelled with an I.

10. swimmerchick

swimmerchick Out Of The Brooder

Some hatcheries do, performance poultry does, i'm not sure about the one you ordered from though... a misshape maybe? And My apologize for my error in spelling "Americana" Instead of Amaraucana. I'm going to have to blame that on spell check...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by