What breed is your broody?

The most successful broodies would have to be my OEGB, they could probably hatch a pile of dirt if they were so inclined
lol.png

Currently I have 2 silkieXcochin broodies, 1 d'ucclesXOEGB broody, 1 OEGB with bitties, 1 OEG with bitties, and I think one of my bantam cochins is thinking about it. That's all for now, as far as I know....

Quote:
That is SUPER sweet!

My silkies love to set eggs but they aren't very good at it. Maybe 50% of the eggs they sit hatch when all eggs are fertile.

Quote:
Crazy like my gold laced bantam cochin and white silkie broodies! They went broody at the same time and afterward they switched nests on me too many times to count. The silkie always wanted the freshest eggs, and since the big girls seem to like whatever nest the cochin is in, this resulted in the silkie running the cochin off her nest. The cochin would then go to the silkie's nest and sit those eggs. I finally found my two jumbo dog kennels, so I brought the broody's eggs in and put them in the incubator with a batch of eggs I set when the girls first went broody, moved the girls into the dog kennels in the brooder room, and gave them 3 silkie chicks apiece from TSC. They are now happily fussing over "their" new babies and I'm pulling out a lot less hair worrying about whose eggs are where and whether they're being incubated or not.

I've broke all my wyandottes from broodyness atleast once. After that they catch on and sit..and sit and sit! until I give them eggs
roll.png

Pepper (4 2 blue wyandotte and 2 wyandotte/leghorn chicks):
16241_img_2955.jpg

Coco (1 SLW chick shipped eggs aswell):
16241_img_1105.jpg

Honey (1 Serama chick adopted because none of her eggs developed I believe shipped eggs):
16241_img_1166.jpg

BB ( 6 Serama chicks):
16241_img_3052.jpg

16241_img_3047.jpg

Pepper also hatched out 5 serama chicks. Since she is a skittish sort I ended up giving her babies to BB which she happly took. Sadly one was a runt and was just failure to thrive and passed
sad.png
but we have 10 happy healthy babies.

Yesterdays picture of all of BBs babies (Was the best picture I could get even thought ones head is kinda cut off
roll.png
:
16241_img_3209.jpg

Mine was a Buff Orpington.... nasty, skinny little thing. I don't have her anymore. She gave me a 100% hatch out of 9 eggs (one chick did die about 3 weeks later though :I ).

I have two 1 week old Blue Cochins.... my hopes are that one of them will be my new broody in a few years. :)

Cochins by far. It's a tie between one of my GL and an LB I used to own...both are great mothers.

I have had a Sumatra go broody on me once but she ended up leaving the eggs after about a week. Another time I had a Light Sussex go broody but when they eggs went to hatch, she didn't get off and the chicks smothered
roll.png

Oh and as for ducks--MUSCOVIES hands down! They will hatch chickens, geese and duck eggs! VERY determined and great mothers!

Here are some funny broody pics...

This was during my coop remodel a few years back--ALL of my breeds were thrown in together...and yes, there were more nest boxes than this--but all three insisted on sitting in there. There was ONE EGG!
gig.gif
Brown pied Muscovy, black sumatra and bantam Fav!

DSCN3122.jpg

Broody Beatrice! She LOVES chicks. She actually will adopt ones I have hatched from the incubator without her ever being broody. I just put her in the brooder box at night and in the morning I dump in a box of chicks. She wakes up and must think she hatched them all but doesn't remember setting for 3 weeks?
lol.png

DSCN3127.jpg

BTW--I like your avatar & name on here....I have Creves too....actually I just posted an auction for some hatching eggs tonight.
wink.png

Last edited:
We have a bantam Cochin who has been broody 2x now in the year that we've had her. She hatched 3 chicks last July and they stayed with her until about Xmas time before she rejoined the flock and started laying again. She layed for about 2 months and now has gone broody again! She is happily sitting on 5 eggs this week. I don't have anything to compare this to, but I would say she's a pretty good little mama.

Back
Top Bottom