What breed is your broody?

I also agree with OEGB when I was in 4H I had some and was told not to expect them to hatch I went out one day and one of my hens had a chick with her I didn't even know there was an egg in there because I had been collecting them but obviously I missed one. I have one now that wants to go broody but one of my mom's roos keeps bugging her. This weekend I'm moving some around and the 3 bantams will have a small coop with some chicks and I think she'll be very happy to keep them warm. I've also had some EE that were great brooders to.

Right now I have an EE with chicks - and a japanese bantam mix, buff catalana and a duck all sitting!

My partridge rock raised chicks last year.
5560018191_2d72f4dfa6.jpg

And a broody team - magpie duck with a BLR wyandotte!
5560020037_d42673b67e.jpg

WOW!! Great pics everyone. I have my first broody. She is a bantam americana ( I think) she lays little green eggs. She lives in my barn away from all the other chickens. The only roo she has access to is a HUGE Delaware. I don't know if the eggs are fertile or what they will look like. I have been trying to grab one to candle it, but they are in the hay loft. I thought something happened to her, but I was happy to find out she was hiding a nest of eggs. I would guess we are on week 2.

I have a Wheaten Ameraucana setting on 10 eggs. If they make it, there will be chicks on April 16th.

I have a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana protecting 4 chicks she hatched out on February 15th.

I have a Silkie that went broody for about one week this month.
She was stting on eggs you might be thinking??? NO!!!!! she just sat near the pop door with nothing under her and fluffed up and pecked who ever passed through the pop door
roll.png
roll.png
roll.png

I've got 2 broodies! One is a splash Marans.I'm so ignorant about the whole thing that it has been crazy.

I marked the eggs and dated them.After about a week she got confused and when I went to feed she was on a different nest. BTW I had just read about this and I was going to move her and the eggs that night. Anyway Mahonri told me they might hatch anyway so I let her set the few eggs I had left under her. Last week she hatched a super blue cutie EE.I worried about the situation so I moved her to an XL dog crate.About 30 min. later I went back to the coop but before I got there I could hear a little chick peeping like crazy.I took off because I didn't know what those other chickens would do.There was a cutie BCM chick all by itself. It must have just hatched out a few hours earlier cause it was not all the way fluffied.
So now I have one BCM chick and one that will be an EE or OE.

Meantime I had a BCM girl go broody.Most of my chickens are in a molt now so I bought EE's eggs from nearby.Just set those eggs under her a couple of days ago.

Years ago I had a sal. fav. given to me.She was so broody she set a rock.I just loved her she was so sweet.I would carry her around while I did chores.

There is nothing sweet about these Marans broodies I have. Man they are tuff.I told my BFF tonight they were Marans "game hens".lol

I have mixed bantam(6 eggs) , a BCM (5 eggs ) , and a black sex-link (9 eggs) setting right now , have several others that have set in the past including RIR's and dom's also have 86 in the incubator that will go into lockdown tomorrow .

Quote:
I am very jelous I have 6 LF cochin hens and 1 roo and they have NEVER gone broody in over 2 years. I want a broody real bad that's probally why I never get one.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom