What breed is your favorite in your flock?

Pics
I don’t think there is any one breed that is more friendly than another. My duel purpose breeds are over all more calm than my light breeds. I have flocks of different breeds. Observing them. There are friendly and curious individuals within each flock. No matter the breed. Just as there are more stand-offish and flighty ones within each flock.

1664933620237.png

i have 4 chickens each is a different breed though they are all very freindly and will run up to you i think my rhode island red wins the award for freindleist

I love Araucanas, they are outgoing, friendly and lay green eggs, but I have always had oviduct issues with them, so I’ve no longer gotten any, even though I adore them, the ony one I have left is a cross between Araucana and Javanese bantam…she was transported as a hatching egg for over 1000 km, then sat in the heat for 1 week, then driven another 600 km, she was the only one out of 6 eggs which really hatched, her ”mother” was my lead hen, who looked after her for 3 months (!) . Usually, the young chickens start way down the chicken hierarchy, but she was number 2 when her mother finally decided she was good on her own, she is my smallest chicken, but thinks she is boss, sometimes, the larger chickens peck her, but usually, she is the one dealing out pecks….a few months ago, she got into a real bad fight with the lead hen (3 times her size) she looked bad, but after 3 days, she was fine again, I had to get the lead hen treated for over 2 months 🙄 she then got sour croup , any other hen would have died ( I think she couldn’t eat for at least 3 days) she made it, she is a tough old bird 😂
D885035A-917D-485E-9103-350BE2821600.jpeg

here she is on the left with the leading hen, they are finally getting along again 🙏🏻

My 2 1/2 YO Buff Brahma is the sweetest(poor girl is recovering from a super tough molt but she's been so sweet through the whole ordeal). My Light Brahma pullet is a big sweet dork too. My EE and Buckeye pullets are also very sweet girls. I have a Buff Orpington that I would happily put on the next train to freezer camp if my kids didn't love her. She is always grumpy and is mean to all the new pullets(trying to keep her 3rd place of the 3 older ones I think lol) and has made me bleed more than once, but she is super sweet to the kids! She is also a poor layer. I am sure there are nice Orps out there but I will never find out! ;)

I was wondering what breed of chicken is your favorite one in your flock? By favorite I mean who is always looking for cuddles or just eager to see you, who lays eggs most consistently and who gets along with others….
I want a diverse flock but I want my flock to be friendly. I see them more as pets and producers of eggs. So who’s YOUR best breed ??
Thanks !
My silkie and araucana mix,she gets along with everyone,started laying last week and have layed an egg everyday since then,beautiful eggs and looks cute and loves cuddles

Attachments

• 54F9EFF3-55D2-44F9-B0BB-0AC8E33983EC.jpeg
    54F9EFF3-55D2-44F9-B0BB-0AC8E33983EC.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 244C2A47-0A80-4A82-8065-DEBA0FBC2E63.jpeg
    244C2A47-0A80-4A82-8065-DEBA0FBC2E63.jpeg
    364.5 KB · Views: 4
I too have a tough time with favorite breed, as I have several and I like them all for different reasons. However, that being said. My heart belongs to lavender Ameraucanas 😍 They are friendly, sweet, beautiful, and every day they visit me. I would put EEs second. I have two large fowl EEs and three bantam EEs and all of them are friendly and loving. My porcelain d’Uccles, Belgian d’Anvers, Polish, silkies, salmon Faverolle and Russian Orloff are all equally lovely too…just not quite AS friendly and attention seeking.

Friendly breeds that haven’t been interested in being touched, but want to sit on me or near me - black and blue marans, and every Orpington of every color and Wyandotte I’ve owned. My least friendly chickens have been bantam brahmas and bantam Cochins for some reason! They’re not mean, they just want nothing to do with me at all! Total opposite everyone else’s experience with these two breeds!

Back
Top Bottom