What breed laid the first egg for you?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlickin8, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Jujubara

Jujubara Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Western Mass

We hatched her and she is really friendly. She hops in our laps and takes naps. Definitely the friendliest in our flock.

[​IMG]

2. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop

Awww. She looks so sweet. It makes a difference when you hatch and raise them. Mine was a hatchery leghorn.

3. Jujubara

Jujubara Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Western Mass

She is a sweetie and yeah, we have a Brown Leghorn from a hatchery and she's a spaz!! She'll jump an 8 foot fence to escape hands. Lol

4. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    My first to lay was one of my white leghorns! They are great layers!

5. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop

Leghorns are great layers and usually start laying early. Now I want Leghorns again...ha ha. Are yours flighty?

6. shodack

shodack Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    central NY
    I have two Barred Rock and two Australorps. One of the BR was first to lay around 22 weeks. She has also been the most consistent layer. Both of the BA started 23-24 weeks and I can't complain about their consistency. The other BR didn't start until around 26 weeks or so, and has been my least consistent! She's also my flightiest, and I think she's easily stressed. I picked her up the other day (Oh, the horror!), and she hasn't laid in three days!

7. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!

Mine are funny. They will follow me around all day as long as I do not try to catch them. When the whole flock is out free ranging they stick together but my 4 leghorns will be in an other area a little spread out in there own world a lot of times. They are a lot different then my others. But they come when they see us or we call them. They will sometimes just hang out in the coop when the others leave if I am in there cleaning up. I love them, they are sweet!

8. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop

I love Barred Rocks. Always good layers. I have some that don't like to be handled either. They are drama queens...ha ha!

1 person likes this.
  9. Stephanie R

Stephanie R Chillin' With My Peeps

Isn't it agonizing waiting on those first timers? My Australorp is a pretty consistent layer, but her eggs are like bullets. Long and slender.

10. shodack

shodack Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    central NY
    One of mine lays long slim eggs too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by