What breed laid the first egg for you?

First to lay was silver cuckoo marans at 18weeks 4 days - she stopped after 2 weeks and I thought she was sick, just started to lay again after 2.5 months and I think she was going through a molt. Second was dominique at 20 weeks. Third black jersey giant at 23-4 weeks and last was cream legbar At 26 weeks I think - she is my best layer so far, only skips a day every 12 days or so :)

I don't think I've seen a Silver Maran. I'm sure they are beautiful. The Cream Legbar look beautiful in pics and those gorgeous blue eggs they lay. What makes them lay blue eggs? Are they part Ameraucana?

I don't think I've seen a Silver Maran. I'm sure they are beautiful. The Cream Legbar look beautiful in pics and those gorgeous blue eggs they lay. What makes them lay blue eggs? Are they part Ameraucana?

I think the blue egg gene comes from Araucana? I am not sure though. Mine lays green eggs though, I was really hoping for the sky blue eggs. If I ever get to buy a small farm I'd like to experiment with the breed, they are gorgeous.

this is my very first egg from my marans next to a store bought large for size comparison

this is the second one from the marans, nicer color already, but not as dark as I hoped, later I found out the black copper marans lay the darkest eggs :)

all 4 of my girls enjoying oats/salmon/carrot snack

marans left, legbar right, sorry its so blurry

the cream legbar, truly gorgeous, I want/need more :D

eggs

no marans eggs in the last picture, took that before she started to lay again

I think the blue egg gene comes from Araucana? I am not sure though. Mine lays green eggs though, I was really hoping for the sky blue eggs. If I ever get to buy a small farm I'd like to experiment with the breed, they are gorgeous. this is my very first egg from my marans next to a store bought large for size comparison this is the second one from the marans, nicer color already, but not as dark as I hoped, later I found out the black copper marans lay the darkest eggs :) all 4 of my girls enjoying oats/salmon/carrot snack marans left, legbar right, sorry its so blurry the cream legbar, truly gorgeous, I want/need more :D eggs no marans eggs in the last picture, took that before she started to lay again
Beautiful girls and eggs. I want a Cream Legbar hen after seeing your beauty. :D

Does anyone know what my ladies' problems might be? Have two polish, two jersey giants, an Easter eager and 3 astrolorps. The polish and giants are about 3 years old and the three astrolorps are 26 weeks. Have not gotten any eggs from the Polish in a few months and only 3 eggs from the Giants in the past 6 months at least. The babies have laid about a dozen and a half in the past Mont but now I only get one small brown egg (definitely from one of them) every other day and nothing else.

Does anyone know what my ladies' problems might be? Have two polish, two jersey giants, an Easter eager and 3 astrolorps. The polish and giants are about 3 years old and the three astrolorps are 26 weeks. Have not gotten any eggs from the Polish in a few months and only 3 eggs from the Giants in the past 6 months at least. The babies have laid about a dozen and a half in the past Mont but now I only get one small brown egg (definitely from one of them) every other day and nothing else.

Very common questions lately I've been seeing in most post, including me. I've got all my Marans quit laying a month ago after started laying for couple of months. My first batch of chicken last year had layed eggs thru out the winter after started laying from August @18-20 wks old.

It has actually been since April that I have not gotten more than 5 eggs a day from these guys. Just before I got the babies there were eggs from most of them. Then I had a bad mite problem, very hot weather and a rodent problem on top of all that. My easter egger was still laying up untill June and then went through a bad molt also. The last two eggs were really strange - have an extra "wave" of uneven she'll on them. We had some really bad thunderstorms around that time and I know she was scared. The others were ok.

It has actually been since April that I have not gotten more than 5 eggs a day from these guys. Just before I got the babies there were eggs from most of them. Then I had a bad mite problem, very hot weather and a rodent problem on top of all that. My easter egger was still laying up untill June and then went through a bad molt also. The last two eggs were really strange - have an extra "wave" of uneven she'll on them. We had some really bad thunderstorms around that time and I know she was scared. The others were ok.

Your Polish and Black Giants are 3 + years older birds so they'll slow down on laying due to age, molting, breed. Your younger birds may delay a little with the shorter days of winter.
You can put a light in the coop to extend their day a couple hours and feed them extra protein. Both should help boost production. Good luck :D

I have 4 that are 27 weeks and haven't started laying yet. I know they will in time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom