What breed lays first??

Ericasl

Songster
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
The Dalles OR
That my question, I am already planning on what kind of chickens I want to hatch in the early spring. I feel like I have been waiting for my buffs to start laying FOREVER. What breed starts to lay the early? I have 36 hens and half of them are molting and the others have not started to lay yet. I am only getting 2 eggs a day:barnie. I am just trying to plan a little better for next year. My poor EEs look so bad, I am going to be making coats for them.

From what I have seen on here possibly the sexlink chickens like comets or stars, etc. I am waiting forever too. I have two brahma hens, they are about 6 months old now. No eggs. I also have new chicks 5 weeks old that are BO's. So you know we wait.
I thought about the others but I want a long laying chicken too. The ones who lay the most often and earliest sometimes quit quicker too.
My choice next will be Delaware. They lay really well. I hope they will live and lay long too. Jean

My golden phoenix laid first out of my flock and lays every day but the eggs are small. My barred rocks and brown leghorn lay well too- they are about 24 or 25 weeks old now and have been laying a few weeks.

My black sex links just started laying at 24 and 26 weeks.
They have it good here too and I feed them high quality feed and they free range all day.
I also have a rhode island red and orpington that just started laying at 24 weeks and an easter egger began at 28 weeks.
I am still waiting on the rest who are 24 weeks old.
I think it doesn't matter so much on the breed as it does on the genetics of the particular chickens.

I don't know if any one breed really lays any sooner than another. I think it is more when the bird is ready to lay. I have RIR's my first to start laying was at 17 weeks the last to start was at 27 weeks.
I think 22 to 26 weeks is about average. Some don't start until about 30 weeks. There are some good links near the bottom of the page.

You may already be familiar with this site
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

We got 25 brown egg layers and then added 25 bantam just for fun when we ordered late this past spring. Guess who started laying first? The bantams. And then a small white leghorn. My sex-links, brahnams, orpingtons, and EE are still just watching the others and taking lessons, I hope. They are 22 weeks today.

Back
Top Bottom