What breed of chick is this?

Verboortchics

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
Forest Grove, Oregon
Hello;

Can someone help identify what breed if chick I have? Is it a silkie? It has fluffy feet like my other two, but that is where the similarities end.
I got this cutie at Wilco with 3 other chicks. The guy that helped us did not know anything about chicks (I should have waited for the normal gal to come back, but there were only the 2 white silkies left...and...Well you know how that goes!) And so I'm not sure what he gave us.
Sorry the pics are not too good. But she is one of the most shy babies we have! She is about 2 weeks old.
20180321_132245.jpg
20180321_131741.jpg
20180321_131735.jpg

Hunh.

I don't think I've ever seen that feathering pattern before. Can you keep posting pictures as she ages? I'm really curious.

As for breed, I feel compelled to guess cochin, because of the straight comb and feathered feet. She doesn't have any extra toes, does she?

EDT: And definitely not silkie. They have flat combs (walnut) which are dominant, so even a cross would have a flatter comb.

Hunh.

I don't think I've ever seen that feathering pattern before. Can you keep posting pictures as she ages? I'm really curious.

As for breed, I feel compelled to guess cochin, because of the straight comb and feathered feet. She doesn't have any extra toes, does she?

EDT: And definitely not silkie. They have flat combs (walnut) which are dominant, so even a cross would have a flatter comb.

Thank you for the reply!
I will look at her/his toes tomorrow when it's light out. And yes, I will post a pic next week to show her growth/coloring.
I was thinking Cochin as well. We have a giant Cochin ad this one is definitely not as big. So maybe a bantam breed?
Here are a couple (terrible) pics of our giant Cochin. We named this one Gandalf the Grey. I think the male name might be right....

Attachments

• 20180319_163924.jpg
    20180319_163924.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180319_165603.jpg
    20180319_165603.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 20
Thank you for the reply!
I will look at her/his toes tomorrow when it's light out. And yes, I will post a pic next week to show her growth/coloring.
I was thinking Cochin as well. We have a giant Cochin ad this one is definitely not as big. So maybe a bantam breed?
Here are a couple (terrible) pics of our giant Cochin. We named this one Gandalf the Grey. I think the male name might be right....
I've heard of bantam cochins (I own some, thus the username) and I've heard of giant cochins. Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a "Normally-Sized Cochin?"

EDT: Perhaps a Cochin Of Usual Size?

Hunh.

I just checked and she DOES have an extra toe...

I'm pretty sure there are normal sized cochins...
I had a cochin once who was pathetically small for standard size. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom